Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 12:30AM

My sisters had to do this every morning with every other female high school classmate during the late '60's/early '70's in the gym while the principal crawled along the line on his hands and knees with a ruler.

I couldn't make this shit up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 12:30AM by siobhan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Off the fence ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 11:42PM

siobhan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I couldn't make this shit up.

Joseph could.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 01:59AM

Every registration in the old Smith field house, we'd get to the AP-types roaming around and making suspect young ladies kneel before them. If the hem didn’t touch the ground, they couldn't register until they'd gone home to change.

Boys were sent off if their hair was over their ears or over the back collar.

Posted by: GodLedMeOut (nil) ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 03:16AM

Turtle-neck sweaters were banned at my dad's school in Modesto CA around 1910. They were then called "rough-neck" sweaters, and only scrapers and ruffians wore them. Pop used to laugh about his brothers being sent home from school for wearing them.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 04:28AM

When my father was young crewcuts were "jail cuts". That was of course 100 years ago, literally.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 05:17AM

I went to high school back in the 60's. When mini skirts first appeared we had to make sure our skirts were no more than 4 inches above our knees. Later in the 60's the maxi dress became fashionable and the rule changed to " No more than 4 inches above or below the knees" !!

I never saw anyone have to kneel so the skirt could be measured..our teachers were pretty good at just using their eyes.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 08:14AM

They did this in my high school in NJ in the 60s. Not to everyone, but if you got sent to the Vice principal for your skirt being too short, or your hair being too high! (remember those awful boufant big hairdoes?) I never got snagged but my best friend did and was sent home to change. Also we had to wear skirts, no pants or jeans, so we froze our legs in the winter.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 08:52AM

When will school administrators quit having convulsions about adherence to dress codes (so TOTALLY unnecessary!) and get serious about the learning process occurring in the heads of their students??

Our high school class just had its 50th reunion a few months back - and we all agreed that the best teachers were the ones who passed on their own love of a given subject to us; not the jots and tittles and silly little things - but appreciation of the overall craftsmanship of a play, for example, of how the characters related to each other, what made you care about them, etc. Most of our teachers have passed on, by now, but they are still much-admired and warmly remembered.

I felt like my very first Spanish teacher was my guardian angel nearly a decade ago, when I was traveling in Europe. His teaching had given me the ability to break the various languages apart and then fit them back together, so I could use them. Not just Spanish - ANY language.

He taught us the greater art of communication - connection - and that the individual language was only a part of it.

So let's lighten up about how far skirt hems are from the floor (that is SO Sixties!!) and get on with the process of REAL education.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 10:24AM

It's just ridiculous. It shouldn't matter at all if the skirt goes to the knees.

Yesterday I noticed a girl walking outside at a Utah Valley high school with a dress that was obviously too short for the dress code. (My daughter commented on how cold it was to be wearing that). And then I realized it was about the length of cheerleader skirts.

So what's the deal with THAT? Why do schools overlook 'modesty' for cheerleaders, but make a big deal about it otherwise? The way I see it, everybody needs to just calm down about the human body. As long as the private parts aren't hanging out, it's decent enough. Boys need to learn how to deal with distractions. And, BTW, girls can be distracted by boys, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 10:34AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 10:33AM

So stupid. There is a beautiful young woman with a fabulous voice at my Catholic parish, and she was often solo song leader before she went away to college. She is almost 6 feet tall, long legs, and frequently wore very short skirts in the summer. Some of the old biddies clucked, but basically nobody cared, she is very talented and was doing something nice for the church and that is what mattered.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 01:38PM

I teach at a middle school that has uniforms. they are very strict on colors of uniforms, shoes, and coats and are nazis about tucked in shirts. I think it's petty and stupid. students actially get written up and suspended over these little details.í

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 02:47PM

That happened to me at BYU more than once back in the early 70s. They were checking the sideburns and hair length on guys too.

Such important priorities there!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 02:50PM

CONTROL! That's their most important priority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 06:18PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 06:16PM

...then I don't see what problem anybody would have with it. In fact, IMO, it's more dressy/classy than what most girls wear to school. Also, her dark hose makes the outfit even more modest. That outfit would be perfectly appropriate to wear in most professional/office settings. Nobody would bat an eye over it. Sounds like those school officers need to find something more important to worry about.

When I was in school in the late '60s-early '70s, the girls were wearing hot pants, halter tops, and very short skirts. That was the hippie-Woodstock era, and that was how lots of the girls dressed. And this was in conservative south Alabama. I don't remember any girl being sent home or criticized for their clothing.

I do remember that at MIA, the girls' skirts were supposed to touch the floor when they were on their knees. The girls used to joke about it. But I don't remember any girls being sent home. I do remember once back in the late '80s, when the girls were playing basketball in the gym, one of them wore really tight shorts, and the leader told her to go put on something else. Who knows, maybe those were the only shorts she had.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 23, 2016 06:22PM

Oh boy...the trip down memory lane...San Diego 1970..my nick name was Buck Owens ..yeah i didnt fit in with the blossoming hippie culture...skirts were short i mean micro...even in the blitzkrieg of hormone hell i got sick of seeing panty hose tops and girls tugging stuff down...not much sexy about that...but it sure beats the seeds out of frumpy garments and moo moos

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.