Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 01:44PM

"Hey Y'all,

Weather,

On Friday they closed school and all business early do to chances of snow. Everyone was going crazy buying milk and bread at stores. It probably Snowed a few cm or so. it was not very bad. Then the next day there were just a few car out and about on the road. Most of it melted by noon. It was very cold. It Helped that i was on exchange at the time in [Name Withheld].

Area,

This area is different then must areas because of all the apartments and things. We spend a long time tracting lately. On Thursday we helped a member of the ward Paint and sandpaper the walls. By the End of Sandpapering I was covered by white powder. It took for every to come out. Tracting is really what we are doing at this point. Transfers are coming up on the Third of February. I have been in this area for three months and Elder [Name Withheld] has been here for six months. Must likely i will be staying but don't count on anything. Alot of random stuff was been happening, like we are now teaching a less active over email/Text because he is deaf.

World Wide Mission Conference,

On Wednesday we had a World wide mission Broadcast. They have not done one in over ten years. It was Held at the Provo MTC and Broadcasted world wide to all the missionaries. I Got to Stream it life off my Ipad to the TV that we set up. It was very neat. They had training's and discussion with a zone in utah. it was cool. The Focus was "teach Repentance and baptize converts." Elder Anderson, Bednar, and Oaks. They did a wonderful presentation

My week in a moment...

FROM-ELDER [Name Withheld]"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 01:45PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 05:34PM

Gee, I wish that he could be spending this time in a nice liberal-arts college with a wild hippie girlfriend or boyfriend. It would do him a world of good.

As I become more fond of this kid, I think a lot about how the Mormon church carefully brainwashes children into being the obedient little members that it needs to keep the rulers in their position of power. The thing is, the members are going to have to remain in a childish state of unthinking acceptance all of their lives, in order to satisfy the needs of the Morg.

It is so sad.

Date: January 26, 2016 06:36PM

I wish someone could just help him understand how there is more to life than Mormonism.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: January 27, 2016 12:34AM

It's funny (meaning strange) that I realized that fact before my mission as well as late in my mission. But I think my dad sensed it a couple of months after I got back, and I got a huge backlash from him. I'm talking Katrina or Sandy levels of force.

And I still believed in the LDS Church, the Priesthood, the Holy Ghost, the Scriptures...but I skipped a temple session and a church dance and that was it!!! He probably thought I was gay, and I think a few creepy friends and relatives put him up to it.

So I'd give your nephew a break for just saying what he's got to say, both now and after his mission. I'm sure you understand.

Date: January 27, 2016 11:41AM

Historischer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure you understand.

I do but I'm not sure he would.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 06:36PM

It really is sad reading this. Sad and a lil funny.

Date: January 26, 2016 06:37PM

heat27 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sad and a lil
> funny.

That is why I post them. Share the sadly funny.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 08:22PM

The World Wide Conference shit is what I got form my son this week, too. Sometimes, his letters are almost identical to those I read on the Board. Perhaps LD$, inc has a template for missionaries. Ironically, the one letter he actually wrote to me personally (vs the emails) was very loving and personal; it didn't even mention religion. The Boner.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 26, 2016 11:21PM

Unfortunately I can plan on reading another half dozen or so different nephew's letters like this over the next dozen years or so, maybe it's good practice.

Maybe if I start now, I can influence at least one or two of them- there's certainly little hope for the rest, and only little hope for those who have already missioned their time.

What a job this is! Probably much harder than serving a mission. My big factory kept me from going - thank my dear Lord. My left hand didn't know what my right was doing. I just knew I couldn't sell something that was difficult to believe even if it was free!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: January 27, 2016 12:50AM

One thing I recognize vividly from my own mission is the reverence for apostles. I knew they were fallible, I knew they disagreed, but on my mission I wanted to pretend otherwise. Having made a huge commitment and ivestment, I had to pretend the church was actually worth it. Not just in my outward expression, but in my private thoughts and emotions.

Posted by: fool ( )
Date: January 27, 2016 11:47AM

Speaking of stream of consciousness: Make this man an Elder's Quorum teacher!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 11:48AM by fool.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: January 27, 2016 12:48PM

The child-like obedience this kid portrays is so unquestioning.
I never get the feeling the daily/weekly slog ever gets to him. Despite the obvious lack of production.

I didn't serve a mission, but these posts show that mission is doing a whole lot of nothing. He never mentions numbers or goals, so I wonder if Mission Presidents have backed off the production angle in favor of just converting the missionaries as the primary goal these days?

Date: January 27, 2016 07:14PM

I don't think he is very interested in them. I think it is the same old song and dance; it is just that my nephew problem can't sing at all or dance well, so he just kinda wallflower waltzes through his mission.

Posted by: albino not logged ( )
Date: January 28, 2016 01:17PM

His grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure lead me to assume that he was educated in Utah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.