Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:19PM

Will you be cremated, donate your body to science, or the traditional burial? Or, are there other options out there?

I have been thinking about cremation or donate my body to science. I guess I will never know either way...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:31PM

I now lean toward cremation. Cheaper, easier, more pleasant to think about, and doesn't really matter.

I told my wife that she can put me in a coffee can, then go up a canyon and duct tape the coffee can to the trunk of the car with no lid. When she gets back home, I'll be gone!

Won't need a fancy urn or anything.

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:42PM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:44PM

Frankly, I didn't give a shit then and don't give a shit now. Dead is dead. Let me fertilize some roses or something.

Ron

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:48PM

I'll be dead, and I don't think I'll care. Maybe it should be up to my family to decided. I don't care if they bury or cremate me. I hope they have the good sense not to dead-dunk me, but that's up to them.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:52PM

Cremation, if I have any say in the matter. Since i'll be dead, I don't think I will have much say. If DW outlives me and she wants to dress me up in a coffin, I'd prefer no shirt, and a pair of swimming trunks.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:53PM

I want to be 'plastinated' and used in Body Worlds exhibits.
http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/body_donation.html

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:11PM

I hadn't thought of that. The bodies exhibit is in the museum across the street from my office right now. Even as a TBM I leaned towards cremation, but knew DW wouldn't go with it if I died first. Now, since she is divorcing me, it won't matter what she thinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 04:12PM by nomomoses.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 05:06PM

That exhibit is amazing. My husband decided to donate his body to science after seeing it the other day.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:55PM

I won't need my body, and depending on how I die, my organs could be available to someone that needs them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 01:56PM by maria.

Posted by: wantthetruth ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 02:05PM

I'm leaning toward cremation. I just can't see doing the whole tombstone thing. I don't want anything to make my kids feel like they have to stick around and take care of my grave site. I mean what a burden to put on them. No urn thing either. Then they have to haul me around all the time. I would say donate my body to science thing but there are a few doctors in my family and the way they cut those things up in medical school is pretty gross. It would be too graphic to give you details. I know, I know, I'll be dead so who cares, right? Just burn me up and spinkle me somewhere. According to the church, I'm going to be burning up anyway.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 02:09PM

Put me on a raft and shoot a flaming arrow into my corpse and let me burn on the water.

Sadly, this seems to be "illegal" in most places for some stupid reason.

So, failing that. Donate to science.

Failing that. Put me in a paupers grave. If my "funeral" costs more than $100 towards non alcohol related expenses.

For shame. For shame.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 03:49PM

The Vikings would fill the boat with a warrior's shield and swords and whatnot. I would want my Samsung Galaxy S phone and my Tolkien books in the boat with me as it floats down the river to the sea. I'll leave the Star Trek novels to my descendants. Maybe they can get a few bucks on Ebay.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 02:22PM

I won't be doing anything with my body after I die. I'll be dead! However, my children will have me cremated.

Posted by: otherlives ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 02:27PM

Since leaving the morg, I changed my organ donor status on my drivers license to 'yes'...I remember being told when I was younger that donating organs was somehow ruining the body for resurrection, and cremation was out of the question for that reason too.

Was anyone else told something like that?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 03:46PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 02:28PM

Unfortunately, I can't donate my organs to people, but I'll probably donate it to science, then cremated.
I've heard rumours that in Japan, they buy your tattoos and skin them of you when you die. I've often thought about that in addition to the above.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 02:32PM

In other words, a cadaver.

Back in my last years as a Mormon, I became less interested in the idea of having body for eternity. A body seemed so limited and a bit of an annoyance. I thought I'd rather be just an intelligence.

Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 03:14PM

well after they have taken anything useable
i will then be cremated and my ash are to be
thrown off a moutain

one way or another these broken wings are goin fly again

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 03:18PM

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:13PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:23PM

dry up their inheritance.

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 03:19PM

I never really gave it any thought before I got out. I had the organ donation thing on my license, but didn't register with my state. I registered a couple years ago, and put no restrictions on what they may do with my body. If they can use my organs and tissue, great! Otherwise, what's left can go to science. If they can't use it, then do whatever - I suggest cremation because it's cheapest.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 03:42PM

in a burlap bag, with a tree planted overhead. What used to be me will be a tree.... following the "everything that is alive is consuming something that used to be alive" concept.

I haven't looked recently, but there aren't many U.S. places that will do this.

I like the idea of somebody covertly pushing my body out of a small airplane into the ocean. Or "disappearing" somewhere deep in the woods.

Just draw that three arrow recycling logo on me.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:00PM

jpt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in a burlap bag, with a tree planted overhead.
> What used to be me will be a tree.... following
> the "everything that is alive is consuming
> something that used to be alive" concept.
>
> I haven't looked recently, but there aren't many
> U.S. places that will do this.

I saw this on a tv show recently. (I think it was a Modern Marvels called 'Death Tech' or something similar) I had no idea they did that kind of thing, but with my overall leaning toward the sustainable, I am leaning that way now, or cremation.

I do remember hearing from my mom at my great grandmother's funeral that we were buried because our bodies were restored to us at resurrection. I think she said something about 'every hair upon our heads' being restored and pictured myself looking a lot like Cousin It after the resurrection...

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 03:51PM

No

I have not changed my mind on what will happen after death.

as a TBM, I assumed my body was was nothing to do with my spirit... after all, many decent, christian people have died in fires or with body parts missing.

as an atheist, I still dont see any issue with what happens to my body after death.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:14PM

better so God could reassemble and spark us back to life directly out of the grave! lol

Somehow I used to think that Cremation might create a headache for him to gather the bits and pieces together!

It kind of doesn't matter now that I don't believe in any religion. Sometimes I feel that religious delusion was perhaps better :(

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:16PM

Dig a big hole. Dump in my ashes. Plant a weeping willow. Water. Cover with dirt.

Posted by: yogaman ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:29PM

It will be cremation. But just let me die with a "woody" that's all I ask (LOL).

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:45PM

When the second coming happens and all the zombies rise from their graves, it's going to be like zombieland, but worse. It's not going to be fun to be alive during that period.

So I'm going to do humanity a favor and go with cremation, one less zombie to kill.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:59PM

I was thinking about donating my body to science, but what happens to the body when the students are done with it?

My husband cannot stomach the idea, so I guess I will be cremated. I don't want my kids to have to spend a lot of money on a coffin and funeral. I say just take the money and have a big party in my honor. Piper's greatest hits playing on the stereo, lots of booze and confetti. Why not?

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 07:58PM

My children have instructions...cremate me, divide the ashes equally in five mason jars, (forget the pricey urn) one for each kid, then sprinkle the ashes in a spot that means a lot to each of them that they will likely visit often. I don't want to go back to the area I came from, in whatever form and if I haven't made a mark on this world with my life, a marble tombstone won't suffice.

One child lives near Monterrey Bay, which I love to visit, two live near the southwestern Colorado area and have favorite camping spots in the mountains. I'm not sure what the other two will do nor where their favorite spots will be in the future but I don't want them to feel obligated to visit a particular spot once in a blue moon to visit my grave.

I'd prefer a flash of fire to mouldering away and if God can resurrect everyone, he can do it from ashes as well as from grave dust.

Posted by: freeasabird ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 08:04PM

Yes my ideas have certainly changed!

My mom always asked me "how can you have a body in the CK if you are cremated?" Even though I asked what about those who die in a fire, I still let this sway my thoughts.

Now it's donor then cremation with the left over bits. Now just to make sure my wishes are followed...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.