Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 02:44PM

Did you know that for Polish people, today is a special delicious donut day? It is the Thursday before Ash Wednesday which is next Wednesday this year, and it is traditional to eat filled donuts called Paczki today. This was originally to use up all the butter and cream and jam before Lenten austerity. I am half Polish but did not know about this tradition, but fondly remembered the donuts my grandma used to get from the Polish baker.

So we went on a donut pilgrimage today to Passaic, a grimy old industrial city that once had a large Eastern European population, and still has some ethnic shops and churches. The Polish bakery was full of employees speaking Polish and yummy authentic baked goods. Since Lent is coming, I did my religious duty and ate 2 pazcki already! If there is a Polish bakery near you, be sure to look for some. Dunkin just will not do!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 04, 2016 06:05PM

Sounds like a great tradition.

Personally, I don't need a religious holiday as an excuse to eat yummy, fattening baked goodies, though :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.