Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 09:51AM

I once embarrassed myself at a Native American event here in the South. I was talking to a tribal member from North Carolina, and we got on religions. I said I was raised in Mormonism, but left the religion, and then proceeded to insult Mormonism as I often do. He said, "Ugh, actually, I'm LDS. Most Cawtawba are LDS." I didn't know this, but it's true. See:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Catawba.aspx

But then take note of this: "Ostracism and ridicule were vital elements in ensuring good behavior... In addition, Mormon codes of conduct have been important in setting the standards of behavior."

Hate to be tough on our native peoples, but "ostracism and ridicule" seem to dovetail with Mormonism, and I would expect it of a people who approve of Mormonism as their guiding light.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:16AM

Thanks. Didn't know Mormonism had spread to tribes back East.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 10:31AM

I wonder if they still consider themselves to be members of the house of Israel?

Posted by: TJC ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 11:17AM

I lived in that area for several years. The tribe deeded over 100 acres of prime river-front land to the Church in the 60s for $1. The tribe has since sold off every other piece of land and tribe keeps attempting to get the 100 acres back. There are constant battles over Bingo and gambling. An interesting piece of trivia...the chapel on the reservation actually has a cemetery behind it...and you have to have permission from the bishop and tribe to be buried there. Every time someone dies in the ward, there is a huge fight about if they have enough native blood to be buried on the church property.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 11:21AM

Wow..my ex served his mission in the Southern States Mission back in the late 60's. He told us often of the great success that he had teaching and baptizing people in the Cawtawba tribe. His stats were good and he eventually became an AP. Interesting thread.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 08, 2016 11:39AM

you didn't ask if he/she was a lamanite ?

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 06:09AM

'Ostracism and ridicule' as vital elements just reminds me of sending kids to Kamp Krusty on The Simpsons where their exclusive program of diet and ridicule' helped kids lose weight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.