Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 12:10PM

This is the best story I have read all year...

"Every Girl At This High School Got A Flower For Valentine's Day"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/valentines-day-flowers-student-hayden-godfrey_us_56bef22ae4b0c3c5505191e9

Although I don't remember any girls who felt left out on Valentine's Day when I was going to school (and it may be because I was too immature to "see" what was actually going on), I have read some really brutal stories about how other girls, in other schools, have been deeply wounded forever from school Valentine's Day activities.

This is among the most incredibly caring, and truly loving, stories I have ever read.

Hayden Godfrey, on this one day in his life, made the lives of 834 girls better for all the rest of their lives.

What an amazing accomplishment!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:51PM

That was so sweet of him to do that.

There was a boy back in junior high who may have had a similar idea for the girls, but it wasn't for Valentine's. He just seemed to like many of the girls he went to classes with.

One spring day he passed out single tulips to the girls he had pre-selected, with a handwritten poem, with their name at the top. If you were one of the girls to get the tulip with poem, you'd swear he was totally smitten with you. Until the tulips began appearing around the hallways and girls started comparing notes when it was learned he was into more than a few of us. And the handwritten love poem was repeated verbatim to each girl he'd given a tulip to. :D

I wonder now if in his childlike innocence he was trying to be a gent like this fellow did with an entire high school?

Can only imagine the smiles on the faces of all the young women in his high school yesterday.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 09:59PM

Tevai,

Just wanted to thank you for posting this. It's good to see something that is just plain nice, once in a while.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 10:11PM

...and Thank YOU, peculiargifts, for this post... :)

The HuffPost article was really a good thing for me to read today, and I thought that it might lift and lighten some people here, who might be feeling loaded-down and fearful about whatever is going on in their individual lives...

...because---at least, to me---what the article "says" is...

...even when you are most the scared and feeling 'alone,' someone can seemingly come out of "nowhere" and make you realize, all over again, that you count.

And for the female students of that Utah high school, that's what I think each of those flowers said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 10:16PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Invisible ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 11:23PM

Thank you for this cheerful story!

Yes, tonight is rough. I'm going to be alone for the entire VD weekend--alone with a bag of Hershey's kisses--which I bought for myself. I've already eaten the whole thing. Usually I don't wallow in self-pity.

My old grandmother was right: "When you feel sad, do something nice for someone else." Hayden Godfrey, I love you!

My grandmother also used to say, "When you feel blue, wash your hair--even if it doesn't need it."

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 11:27PM

((((( Tevai )))))

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.