Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 02:03PM

The First Parish Ice Cream Social was scheduled for today, the coldest day of the winter. -7 when we entered the building. The sun streaming through the big sanctuary windows did nothing to remove the frost on the inside of the glass. Old building, ancient windows!

Before the social, we held an inter-generational service. This means that the children and youth do not leave for other programming. The service is for everyone. However, at such services, pipe cleaners are handed out at the door in case little hands get fidgety. And a nursery is open for children under 3 (or others who just are not up for . It is staffed by 2 paid, trained care givers. They are present every Sunday whether the nursery is used or not.

The service involved a reading and enactment (via dramatic interpretive pantomime) of the story The Snow Queen. Reflective background music, composed for the event, was supplied by music director, Steve. Director of Religious Education, (DRE) Dolores, began the story reading. She was followed by other adult readers.

Our oldest grandson, 13, was excellent in portraying the Snow Queen herself. Granddaughter, 11, was Gertha, the young lady seeking her brother who has been entranced and imprisoned by the Snow Queen.

After the story, Frances, a folk singer in our congregation, sang “You’ve Got a Friend.” It was very nice!

The collection was taken. It was a share-the-plate Sunday. Half of the donations will be given to the LGBT Asylum Support Task Force of Worcester. They support the basic needs of LGBT people seeking asylum in the U.S. Anyone in the congregation can suggest an organization to fund. The organization is vetted by the committee in charge of such things.

Dress was, as always, casual. I wore jeans and a turtle neck with a knitted poncho type thing over the top. Drdad wore jeans, a button down blue dress shirt and a blue sweater.

Drdad and I left and went to lunch and grocery shopping. All these years after leaving lds inc., I still have a joyful appreciation of lunch and groceries after church. Way back in the day, when our kids were little, we stopped believing but kept attending for about a year. On Sundays, I would fulfill my assignment in primary. Drdad attended priesthood and Sunday school. Then, as the rest of the ward headed to sacrament meeting, we drove off and went to lunch at Wendy’s. Then a trip to a playground while one of us went for groceries. We had (most of) our Sundays back and it was delightful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 02:18PM

I always see a few Presbyterians at the grocery store after church Sunday. Since it is Valentine's Day, lots of people were wearing red and pink today. Women's Ministry sold Valentine treats as a fund raiser for the retreat, to help pay for those who can't afford to go. The hand bells played a march in honor of President's Day tomorrow.

Date: February 14, 2016 04:55PM

What kind of treats?

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 04:56PM

Roses, candy bars and cupcakes.

Posted by: whinny ( )
Date: February 14, 2016 06:16PM

aaawww! I always loved "The Snow Queen". Sounds wonderful!

Date: February 14, 2016 06:31PM

I had never heard the entire story before. The kids and the music were very effective in the telling of the story.

Date: February 16, 2016 12:16PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.