Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 01:23PM

Is really a quote from a "noted" sci-fi/fantasy author, whom we assume is a smarter-than-the-average-bear kinda guy?

"I think that the LDS religion–despite what some detractors may say–is far more open and accepting of new thoughts and ideas than other religious cultures. To an LDS reader, the concept of other populated worlds isn't threatening."

On second thought, I guess they'll believe anything...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 02:35PM

I'm not too surprised that a writer of *fiction and fantasy* would make a statement supporting Mormonism in this way.

While it's true that Mormonism was founded on all kinds of new ideas, it seems the flow of "inspiration" has pretty much dried up in the past century and a half. Maybe Sanderson is only familiar with the cult's very early history--after all, that's when the other-populated-worlds idea originated. Looks likes he needs to update himself on things a bit.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 21, 2016 03:10PM

Yeah, right -- they're "open" to other worlds being populated, but not "open" at all to equal rights for blacks, rights for gays, the earth being 4.5 billion years old, etc. etc. etc.

Open and accepting of new thoughts and ideas?
Not at all. This guy just found ONE that he thinks he can crow about, and he ignores all the other "new thoughts and ideas" the church absolutely rejects. Talk about cherry-picking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.