Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ANON ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:12PM

PROJECT: Gateway Condo
REPORT: Budget (Furnishings, Fixtures & Equipment)
PREPARED BY: Lawrence Wyss, Michael Jenson
SUBMITTED: 30-Dec-08

CATEGORY BUDGET
Loose Furnishings $130,541
seating
casegoods
tables
lamps

Cabinetry/Countertops (includes installation of cabinetry only) $70,776
2 kitchens
5 baths

Appliances $30,505
2 kitchens
laundry
televisions

Lighting $21,265
chandeliers
sconces

Flooring (includes installation) $63,114
carpets
stone

Wall Treatments $18,452
decorative painting
wall covering (does not include installation)

Window Treatments (includes installation) $30,185
drapery
shutters
Venetian blinds

Miscellaneous (includes installation) $34,999
accessories
mirrors
art
fireplace surrounds/hearths
closet interiors

Total $399,837.00

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:13PM

OMG....but not a penny of tithing money went to pay for this, right?

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:17PM

Thanks,anon!

What does he do with his two kitchens? Cook for lonely widows? And FIVE baths? I hope he has gold plated fixtures in the bath, at least.

and TSSC encourages single mothers to not feed their children and to not pay their electric bill so that Tommy can live like Hugh Heffner in the playboy mansion?

What a disgrace.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:19PM

But I would hope the condo would be up for a spread in Architectural Digest...

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 05:20PM

Or both.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 12:54AM

I've worked in interior design procurement, on regular and multi-million dollar budgets (from a penthouse in NYC to a hotel in Dubai), and these prices are pretty standard for top-of-the-line and custom furnishings. I'm assuming that a lot of items specified are not sourced domestically. For instance, travertine marble for the bathrooms or kitchen, sourced from italy. Custom glasswork from an international source. For the lighting, the sconces could be 5-7k each.

Now these aren't NORMAL prices, but this is certainly not jacked up prices. He could have/should have exercised moderation with his budget, and it's revolting that he was allowed such a budget, but these are legit prices for these sorts of things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2011 12:54AM by wittyname.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 07:27AM

I agree, but even if a private individual who earned their money honestly did it, I'd think that they could have spent the money better; but I'd think it's their money, knock themselves out.

Knowing that it was not his money makes it a lot different for me.

Knowing that people are hurting, and still being manipulated into giving him ten percent of their money, so he can be extravagant, really annoys me.

Knowing that other people are hurting and asking their bishops for help, and he isn't given the money from SLC to help them, and tells them no, really bugs me.

I wish someone would picket Gen Conference with a sign that says:

"Tommy, how many widows could have been helped with the $400,000 that you wasted decorating your condo?"

And have the back side say:

"Tommy, did you earn the money, or did you take it?"

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:25AM

Oh, I agree 100 - no 1,000%! It's absolutely repulsive. The opulence rivals that of the Sheik of Dubai (the project the above-referenced examples come from). The point I was trying to make above was that he's not being taken to the cleaners, rather he's sparing no expense.

Add the "how many people have been foreclosed on because they tithed for your palace instead of paying the mortgage for their own home" to the sign list.

I honestly don't know how he lives with himself, or how anyone can justify that sort of spending. Missionaries have to starve or rely on members just to eat, and this guy's got himself two kitchens. Unreal.

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 05:06PM

Lawrence Wyss, manager of interior design for Temples and Special Projects.

So does this count as a "Special Project"?

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 12:42AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 12:47AM

I mean, it really doesn't surprise me that they are spending so extravagantly - nothing is too good for Jesus' representative here on earth, right? I just wonder where this information comes from - credibility check.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 12:51AM

Let he who is greatest among you let him be your servent.......Something smells bad.....

Posted by: Eldermalin ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 12:55AM

Seems reasonable to me and not too extravagant considering the Utah trend to have a full size bathroom for each bedroom and there's plenty of Monson children to visit. If anything it's very moderate considering what could be spent looking at the mansions of other charismatic preachers.

Yes, the GAs are looked after, but as quoted from general conference the limo at the airport isn't for them. And most of the time when they travel they'll stay at a members' home.

TSCC may be a fraud, but the leaders are sincere in their beliefs.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 01:59AM

Why does each prophet need to redo the condo? Can you "sincere"ly believe that this is what Jesus or even the original prophets would do with church money? Even if it all came from church investments, why do they need to waste nearly half a million on redecorating? If they expect members to live frugally and give their time and money to a "charity" then they should set the example.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 10:29AM

eldermalin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> TSCC may be a fraud, but the leaders are sincere
> in their beliefs.

This is a disconnect from reality. The leaders of the cult cannot be aware that the entire scheme is based on a lie while at the same time believe it is true. They toe the line and repeat the mantra so as to stay in power and to reap the benefits of that power. Sincere in their beliefs? The leaders only need the poor saps who are members to be sincere in their beliefs.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 02:24AM

It says that some items include installation and some do not. If the work was completed, then the installation cost wouldn't be considered separate. Either way, that's a lot.

What kind of condo has two kitchens and five baths?! It must be huge. Even so, they have apparently spared no expense in furnishing the place at $400k. That's a lot of gold fillings.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 05:53AM

Makurosu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of condo has two kitchens and five baths?! It must be huge.

It may be that at one point the church purchased and combined two adjoining condos.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:53AM

Anyone know for sure if that is correct?

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 02:35AM

worth tens of billions, with income of several billion a year.

What if the US Pres wants to stop by? You wouldn't want to greet him in that little old bungalow in Sugar House.

Plus all the other religious leaders get to live like kings too, right?

LDS motto: We're no worse.

Posted by: Merovea ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 03:06AM

DH does not like this site (he is till a cultural Mormon), but I was able to have him read this "estimate" by showing him the Google post! He read it and his comment was that "Lawrence is on a mission...lining his pockets with gold and silver!"

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 03:11AM

So I'm guessing we shouldn't expect to see Tommy, trowel in hand, setting flooring tiles on "Renovation Nightmares Caught on Tape"?

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 04:47AM

So, who will clean all the toilets? Volunteers, anyone?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 05:20AM

I'm sceptical about this thread.
Please can someone post the link to the bona fide source of the information, Google is just showing copies of the posts on this forum.

Thanks

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 06:44AM

If he were in Manhattan, I could justify these prices. A $400k reno in SLC is a palace.

These guys sure no how to feather their own nests while letting millions starve. If Jesus lived like this, he'd have taken over Nero's Golden Palace.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 10:06AM

Are members going to clean his 5 bathrooms, as service projects??????????

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 10:31AM

"I was getting bored with the decor in one, and so I had to move to another one. I could have died in the first one."

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 10:56AM

some Anonymous person posts a budget without any documentation backing it up and we're just supposed to believe it? This is silly. It may or may not be true, but how would we know?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 10:59AM

I agree with you.
I posted earlier on to request a link to some official source.
Much as I want it to be true I need something to back it up... (hey, I'm cured!!!)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 10:59AM

That doesnt seem like that much to me.

Posted by: church mouse ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:01AM

Does anyone know when Tommy's condo was last renovated?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:04AM

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:16AM

It's believable, but I don't believe it without a source.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:20AM

It's near impossible to get financial disclosure from the church, and I can't believe the contractor would be clueless as to releasing these numbers, beyond saying something safe & nebulous like "quality but common sense renovations were made."

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:45AM

underling in the office who must remain anonymous.

I expect the men named at the top are having an office purge today, following their recovery from heart attacks.

Surely this all could have been done using corporate names as the client. Big boo boo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.