Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 26, 2016 03:26PM

http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/living-secular-life

A few gems from the show:

He referred to relying on a religion to tell you right from wrong as "Moral outsourcing".

Following rules isn't morality. A dog can be obedient. That doesn't make them moral.

[But I gotta say that dogs ARE more moral than some people ;-)].

He also talked about the idea that God is always watching, and how that might bring obedience, but it's rooted in fear of punishment. How much better it would be to explain why certain behaviors are harmful or dangerous and have someone follow those guidelines because they agree and choose to do so. In other words, freedom of choice rather than fear of punishment.

He also talked about the traits that atheist parents try to instill in their children, as opposed to religious parents. This included qualities like independence and critical thinking, rather than obedience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 26, 2016 03:35PM

I like the RadioWest broadcasts, I'll listen to this after work.

Our incredible minister (yes, she's brave enough to identify herself as a secular humanist), preached a sermon a few weeks ago about the danger of the obedience mindset. I sat there thinking she must know everything there is to know about Mormonism, because it sure sounds like she is talking about the Mormon robots I know. But it wasn't directed toward any denomination in particular and was even applicable to how we function in the workplace.

I thought "Toto, we're not in Utah anymore." I detest that phrase, "Obedience is the first law of heaven." No, that would be love.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.