Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 08:27PM

When I first joined the church I pointed out that the Book of Mormon did NOT contain the fullness of the gospel and was concerned by this statement. The answer I was given was that fullness does NOT mean complete and it was a common misconception. I don't remember the rest of the answer in detail other than that "fullness of the gospel" basically meant that everything in the book was of God, not necessarily that it was everything God has to give.

Of course NOW I see he word game. But at the time I thought it made sense.

We're older generations taught a different meaning by church leaders? Just curious...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 08:53PM

"Fulness of the gospel" means what means. When backed into a corner by an obvious logical contradiction, Mormons will tried to explain their way out by using word games, as you have noted. The Mormon church STILL teaches that "the fulness of the gospel" is the COMPLETE gospel. Here's an example from their official site:

"Jesus Christ Restored the Fulness of the Gospel through Joseph Smith

"Imagine a glass full of clear, pure water. If we bump the glass, some water might spill out and the glass wouldn’t be full anymore.

"In the beginning the fulness of the gospel was on the earth. For many years prophets taught the gospel.

"When Jesus Christ was on the earth, He established His Church. He taught the fulness of the gospel: faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism by immersion, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and obedience to the commandments. Jesus showed all people how we should live. He became the Savior of us all. The gospel glass was full.

"But as the years passed, parts of the gospel were lost because wicked people changed it or didn’t obey it. The fulness of the gospel was no longer on the earth. Heavenly Father promised His children He would give them the fulness of the gospel again. He called Joseph Smith to help Him restore the fulness of the gospel.

"John 3:16 teaches us that Heavenly Father gave us His Son and the gospel because He loves His children. He calls prophets to teach everyone His gospel so we will know the way back to Him.

"We are blessed to have the fulness of the gospel in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Our gospel glasses are full to the top, and Heavenly Father has promised that the gospel will never be taken from the earth again."

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2010/04/jesus-christ-restored-the-fulness-of-the-gospel-through-joseph-smith?lang=eng

And another example:

"When Jesus Christ was on the earth, He established His Church among His followers. After His Crucifixion and the deaths of His Apostles, the fulness of the gospel was taken from the earth because of widespread apostasy. Through the Prophet Joseph Smith, our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ restored the fulness of the gospel. The true Church of Jesus Christ is on the earth again. Because of the Restoration, the teachings and ordinances necessary for salvation are available to all people."

https://www.lds.org/topics/restoration-of-the-gospel?lang=eng

Additonally, you can follow this link to many more examples:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=site:lds.org+%22fulness+of+the+gospel%22&nfpr=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 08:53PM by lurking in.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 08:56PM

If (a) the fullness of the gospel is contained in the scriptures, and (b) temple ordinances are required for exaltation, why is there no mention of said temple ordinances in said gospels?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 08:59PM

I'm serious here, the church I grew up in doesn't exist any more. It's gone! That was the church that although I gave up on ghawd, I thought that the tribe would be of continuing use to me, as in '...well, it's a good way to raise kids...' Might have been when I was growing up, but it sure isn't now.

I think the major problem for the church became that their once famous slogan, "The Glory of God is Intelligence" came back to bite them in the butt. As science progressed, information became available that contradicted all the pleasant fantasies we'd grown up with. Me growing up a happy little Lamanite became impossible for my kids. I wonder if western hemisphere natives are still all labeled as being from the tribe of Manasseh when they get their PBs, Patriarchal BullBleeps?

It really is that simple: The church of the 50s and most of the 60s is gone. They threw out the old ghawd and brought in a meaner, leaner in your face ghawd.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 29, 2016 09:02PM

When I confronted a TBM friend about the major gaps in the BoM, he replied that its purpose was to convince the Jew and Gentile that Jesus was the Christ, not to expound doctrine.

Most perfect book on earth, my ass! The Boner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.