Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: March 07, 2016 12:09PM

I see articles online about tithing in the church and how it's original use in the 1800s was ten percent of the interest one would have earned on their assets if invested. The church people say the change doesn't matter. Side note that means our current family tithing would have been half of what we actually paid.

But does it matter if tithing was supposedly laid out by God and the change was not made by revelation or sustained in church conference? Was the change ever canonized to be made gods will? Surely on a DOCTRINE that would matter.

If current church members have been taught all this time that tithing was always ten percent but the leaders of the church knew it wasn't originally so doesn't that mean those leaders chose to tell only a part truth to lead people to believe something about the history that isn't true - thus violating the d&c definition of honesty?

To me that would matter because it shows whether or not your church leaders have integrity. If they don't have integrity with the history of the church (only in spurts and only after the rest of the world is aware of a piece of history) how can you trust what they say on other matters?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 07, 2016 12:22PM

Well, no. In Mormondom, truth does not matter because objective truth is not the point. Orwellian faith baiting is the point.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 07, 2016 12:49PM

I thought that what ever the leaders said a hundred years ago doesn't matter, they only things that matter are the ones the current leadership order.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2016 12:52PM

Remember, "We have ALWAYS been at war with East Asia!"

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 07, 2016 01:20PM

Yes you are correct. I think Rock Waterman and maybe Denver Snuffer et all have pointed this out. The Reorgs always said it only the increase. There are actually some fantastic podcasts on the history of tithing. Its quite fascinating how it evolved.

Also, since we are on the subject, I was looking up various sins of the flesh the other day for fun in the NT. One I found and had to look up because I wasn't sure what it was (and might want to try) was called "Variances". The bible dictionary basically says a "Variance" is changing our bullshit rule to some other bullshit rules. So you are right, at a minimum the church is guilty of a Variance. They changed.

Galations 5:16-21 Awesome list of fantastically funny sins to say AND TRY if you are interested.

Well I'm outta here, going to try n get my lasciviousness on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.