Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonandangry ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 01:29PM

I smell a churchie rat when it comes to Utah's plan to export coal by way of California to Asian countries. Does anyone know more about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 01:36PM

TSCC has ALWAYS been closely in cahoots with the UPRR;
I believe that tscc / BY received UP stock when the RR failed to pay its LDS laborers when THE GOVT paid the RR for crossing from Atlantic to Pacific...

'Back In The Day' when I was a mish... travel to the mish field was arranged thru (memory here) 'Murdoch Travel' (agency); it was almost exclusively on the UPRR, when other means/routes were available...

Who / where is Murdoch today? Do they still have the church's business? If Not... Who does & why is that?

(I'd love to read the terms of BY's estate settlement; his personal funds were Hopelessly inter-mingled with "church" $, it is said...)

So, Utah coal goes to Cali on the UPRR; who profits, why LDS Does!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 01:41PM by GNPE.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 01:44PM

Nothing of this magnitude could happen without the church's approval (probably behind closed doors). The port will never be built, but those allocated tax dollars will find their way into church owned pockets.

Date: March 15, 2016 01:48PM

Several yrs ago (60's, I believe) there was a serious (coal?)mining accident in Ut...

I don't remember much/any details.

archives.utah.gov/research/guides/mining-disasters.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 01:56PM by GNPE.

Date: March 15, 2016 09:28PM

No, 9 years ago the lost 9 miners in Utah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crandall_Canyon_Mine

Despite many violations & fines, they still operated an unsafe mine. They paid a trivial fine when they should have been sent to prison.

Posted by: arinae ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 01:18AM

They didn't have any more violations than any other mine (says my dad who works in a competing coal mine one county over).

Mining is a dangerous occupation.

I know at least two counties in Utah that will go bankrupt if the coal mines shut down. Demand has been declining severely and it's already affecting the economy and forcing people to move elsewhere. Entire counties will become ghost towns. My parents are SOL if this happens.

(Only reason I hesitate at all to endorse for cleaner energy; at least four generations in my family have been coal miners; at least two of them retired early due to lung problems from mining).

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 05:16AM

Crandall was operated by a subsidiary of Murray, and Murray is notorious in the mining industry. I know of one instance where a mine was for sale and Murray expressed interest in purchasing it. The company selling the mine wouldn't even consider selling it to Murray due to Murray's track record.

I'm sorry for what your family is going through. It's a tough time to be in the coal business.

Date: March 16, 2016 01:16PM

"(Only reason I hesitate at all to endorse for cleaner energy; at least four generations in my family have been coal miners; at least two of them retired early due to lung problems from mining)."

That's like saying "The only reason I hesitate to see WWII end is that my family sells a lot of arms & munitions to Germany"

Utah has the worst air in the nation, partly due to coal. Many industries have gone obsolete through the years. People need to retrain & find other occupations. Being the last coal miner in Utah is not noble, it's short sighted.

Posted by: arinae ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 09:27PM

I can't deny that.

I won't say it's noble or short sighted. They are considering the impact. The impact is they're going to have to move. The entire economy is built on coal.

There are about 32k people between Carbon and Emery County. I don't know the exact stats but there's a higher portion of coal miners (or immediate relatives) than there are mormons (which is saying something in rural Utah).

The weather is lovely down there. It actually has pretty clean air. It's Salt Lake and Provo areas that rack up horrible pollution.

Also: Murray is a jackass. No one really likes him.

Date: March 15, 2016 09:33PM

There Was a serious accident in 60s, check the link.

Mining has always been Big in the west...

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: March 15, 2016 10:59PM

Probably the Wilberg Mine disaster in 1984
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilberg_Mine

There were also 2 major disasters earlier in the 20th century:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Gate_Mine_disaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scofield_Mine_disaster

Date: March 15, 2016 10:46PM

The only way someone could think it is a good idea to export coal from Utah to the international market is if they're relying on revelation instead of market analysis. Coal is on a downward trajectory and has way too much liability. I know the CEO of the company that was trying to expand port capacity in Oregon to allow for coal exports from Wyoming. After years of work and millions of dollars, he realized it was a lost cause. I doubt Utah coal will fare any better in California. Additionally, I was part of a multibillion project to expand coal exports from Australia, and the company I worked for lost a ton of money on that gamble.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 12:57PM

Yep, but the Gov. of Wyo is still pushing for west coast ports and access to asian markets for coal.

Date: March 16, 2016 03:44PM

And for good reason. The powder river basin in Wyoming is one of the most productive coal mines in the world and it, along with other coal mines, contributes a huge amount to Wyoming's coffers. With demand for coal disappearing in the u.s., looking at the international market is a reasonable reaction by Wyoming. However, having spent time in the field of mining, I just don't think it's a realistic option. The required environmental permits alone present a nearly insurmountable obstacle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 09:39PM by Elijah Unabel.

Date: March 16, 2016 04:55AM

Which counties?
How's the weather there??

I'm 'sure' with it's concerns about the rank-and-file, keeping in mind the mega-bucks spent on TS & City Creek ... the Morg will step in & do a Sparkline economic re-development project!

This will enrich the contractors who might not have a project now that CCreek is finished...

Does anyone here tracked announced Temple projects?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 09:32AM by GNPE.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 16, 2016 03:05PM

It is now and always has been ABOUT THE MONEY

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.