Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 07:48PM

Watched the movie "what the bleep do we know anyway" or it's sequel? Or read "a new earth" or "the power of now"?

Good stuff...those basically sum up my view of reality.

What did you think of them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zygar ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 07:51PM

"what the bleep do we know anyway" displays a stunning lack of understanding of quantum physics, to start.

I haven't seen or read the other stuff you reference, but if it's nearly as pseudoscientific, you've got a very different world view from mine.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 07:58PM

Lol...I guess I need to do more research.

I'm always open to change perspective through the persuit of knowledge. My undergraduate degree was in philosophy and history of religion, so I'm not an expert on quantum physics.

Can you recommend a book?

The books I've listed are on a different topic than the movies btw.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 03:23AM

lostmystic wrote
>

>
> Can you recommend a book?
>
"Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav

Posted by: zygar ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:58PM

Well, you could look at the academic response to the movie. http://www.einsteinyear.org/bleep/

There's a pretty decent site about the basics of quantum theory here: http://www.higgo.com/quantum/laymans.htm

As for my own issues with the film, I'll paraphrase Simon Singh:

the suggestion "that if observing water changes its molecular structure, and if we are 90% water, then by observing ourselves we can change at a fundamental level via the laws of quantum physics" is "ridiculous balderdash."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:13PM

I seem to remember a former roommate and her friend watching it. I think I watched maybe 10 minutes before I realized it was new-agey tripe.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 01:20AM

What the Bleep is a bunch of nonsense that sounds good in a touchy/feely way. It's a film produced by a cult called Ramtha/Ramtha School of Enlightenment: http://www.rickross.com/groups/ramtha.html

Posted by: brian-the-christ ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 01:24AM

...but then, I was LDS for 40 years so I'm still susceptible to all kinds of bullshit.

As soon as I heard the crazy lady say, "The native Americans couldn't see the ships until the shaman touched their heads" I knew I was dealing with a bunch of mystic nuts.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 11:15AM

that others have pointed out, is that it uses a complete misunderstanding of physics to 'prove' its claims.

It's one thing to say stuff like, "you 'Make' your own day." It's another to say, "you 'Make' your own day and quantum mechanics PROVES that."

No it doesn't. There might be some folksy truth to making your day better with your attitude, but physics hasn't proven that at all.

It's the same with the "law of attraction."

The name of this idea is really disingenous because it tries to put itself into the same category as 'the law of gravity' or the 'law of thermodynamics.'

It is not a physical law that has been tested and verified over and over and over again. It is a belief.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 12:57PM

You realize that "What the BLEEP do whe know" is a vehicle for the teachings of a cult whos leader claims to be the vessel of the spirit of an ancient warrior...

It has some interesting ideas but not really scientific...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.