Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 01:38PM

Who knew that the combination of Brigham Young's racism and the LDS habit of flip flopping on controversial issues would be so useful?

I have mormon family who are very devout. Obviously I am not, which leads to many kinds of discussions.

These are becoming less and less and thats because I get them every time.

The LDS claim all rests on whether or not one can accept the idea of modern revelation, and the restoration, etc.

They always tell me that I gotta just read the book of mormon and pray and whatever, and Ill know for myself...

But I always ask a simple question: Can I trust modern "prophets"?

The answer is a big fat NO!

1. Brigham Young perpetuated racist teachings.
2. The church "denounces" these teachings in the essay on Blacks and the Priesthood.
3. The church claims that Young was teaching for the climate of his time.
Therefore: If Prophets teach according to the climate of their time (agreeing with whatever the status quo is of the majority) than what the hell do I need one of them for? I have eyes. I can see the status quo of today myself.

It begs the question, what are current "prophets" teaching that will be "denounced" as a false truth in years to come?

Im betting its gay marriage.

So they ask me: If the church accepts gays will you come back?

The answer is a big fat HELL NO.

They've done too much damage. Spread too much hate. And just like with racism, homophobia should not just be forgotten just because the current prophet decides to flip flop in a pathetic attempt to increase tithes.

So I cant trust prophets because they go against each others words, which means I cant trust the book of mormon which means I cant trust prayer (because psychology already has an answer for why people feel what they feel) and I cant trust god.

They look at me and say theyll pray on it and it never comes back up until someone decides to be a missionary at me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 04:55PM

Hey, NonSeq, I'm really glad to see your post. It's been a long time. Have things been well for you? I miss your comments and great sense of humor. Best wishes, friend, The Boner.

Date: March 19, 2016 07:50PM

hey boner!! I was hoping to see you on here. Things are
going good, hope they are for you too

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 19, 2016 05:24PM

I would just add that at the time BY spouted his racism, there were many people in my family in the east who were fighting against slavery. We can also note the John C. Bennett led Union troops into battle during the Civil War.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 02:53AM

It's not JUST that BY spouted racism but he referenced his
prophetic mantle while doing it. In other words he said it came
from GOD, not just his opinion. Same with his Adam-God doctrine
(BY NEVER called it a "theory").

So, you have to say that sometimes prophets claim to be
prophesying in the name of God and STILL are wrong. Which
means that I can be a prophet too since I'm wrong sometimes and
right sometimes by pure guessing.

Questions like "would you return if they allowed gay marriage?"
show that Mormons don't understand us at all. They think it's
always one little thing that we're using as an excuse to not be
a Mormon. The can't fathom that we don't believe it and that
the "evidences" of its bogosity are legion. Its falseness is
clear, obvious, and systematic.

Posted by: cousin ( )
Date: March 20, 2016 07:45PM

"Therefore: If Prophets teach according to the climate of their time (agreeing with whatever the status quo is of the majority) than what the hell do I need one of them for? I have eyes. I can see the status quo of today myself."

That would apply to Joey also. Or is he the prophet that got it all right?

So how in the hell do you know anything if the process of revelation has an unknown expiration date on it.

Date: March 21, 2016 11:06PM

Well you could start by realizing the process of revelation is absurd to begin with

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 11:43PM

So they ask me: If the church accepts gays will you come back?

Sure thing! As long as it repairs the damage to every family that was destroyed because gays were shunned, abused, thrown out like trash and tortured into non-gayness.

When every single gay Mormon that committed suicide due to the above and gets their life back as a baby to be loved and accepted as they should have been THEN, and only THEN would the destruction be repaired.

Go back to church? Even after that I would not because why be with a church that caused such destruction and say "we were speaking as men. It's all good now"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 11:44PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.