Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Red Puppy ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 08:53PM

Growing up in the church we have it ingrained in our memories that priesthood authorities are pretty much not to be resisted. Yet now that I realize they have no ACTUAL jurisdiction over me, it's fun to let them know that.

Even just doing little things can be fun. "Bishop Smith would like to meet with you at 7:30AM in his office on Sunday." Oh sorry I can't do that. But I'm free at 12:30. Can he meet me at my house? Oh, he can't? Oh well, guess we will just meet some other time.

Also funny to call them out on how little they know about certain subjects. Sure, if you're a health scientist with a degree, I'll listen to you lecture me about how caffeine can harm me. But if you're a freaking business man, I won't pay attention to you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 09:38PM

maybe I already have, but didn't do the awe-stuff

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 09:47PM

I asked the bishop through e-mail (my TBM daughter is good friends with him so I had access to his e-mail address) a few things like Please don't send HTs, etc.

He started to bear his testimony to me over many e-mails.

I pointed out to him that, for one, I didn't recognize him as having "authority" over me. He said I had never sustained him so I was correct.

Then when he reminded me of me walking by his house to church years before--I reminded him that those days he saw me walking to church past his house, he was mowing the lawn . . .

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:21PM

I'm pretty sure our local bishop is sub-human, possibly a goat or something else loosely related to the practice of Satanism.

And believe me, I would LOVE to let him know that and I think he realizes it because he avoids me like the plague. HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:24PM

Posted by: Red Puppy ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:30PM

Better yet, call them a nickname! "Jimmy my man! How is the bishop thing treating you?" or "Dick! So great to see you dressed up all professional-like!"

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:11PM

I had a bishop I called Herbie to his face. That was his nickname growing up and that's what I call him. It's so easy to mock the lard's anointed when they're younger than you and you've known them all your life.

They get so stuffy and pissed off when you don't call them Bishop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 11:13PM by Charley.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:39PM

Wouldn't you say?

There's the little twist that makes this such a fun topic.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 12:21AM

Those who were simple people who were trying to do what they think God would want them to do, and at the other end, some who thought that they were either god's mouthpiece or his authorized dealer.

I've seen some pretty cool people become bishops, and initially their personality works well for them in the calling. But, it's just a matter of time before they turn into mindless automatons obediently filling their roll in the big MLM organization.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 01:55AM

Many years ago, I was having an "interview" with our bishop, who was a pompous, self-important jerk.

I won't go into detail, but he had been pulling some pretty vicious stuff (I thought) with my soon-to-be husband. Believe it or not, I was even pretty TBM in those days, but I thought the Bish had gone way overboard and was being vindictive, at the least. I was angry and didn't see any reason to hide it.

"Bishop," I told him, "that little stunt you just pulled with [future spouse] may someday cost your church a member!"

He narrow his eyes and said, "Is that a threat?"

"No, it's a very down-to-earth appraisal of human behavior."

That Bishop's behavior (plus a lot of other stuff) DID cost the church a member: me.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 03:38AM

Actually, on that show "The Doctors", they announced that caffeine actually helps to prevent and fight cancer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.