Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 08:19AM

I'm preparing--intensely at the last moment--for an evo psych seminar tomorrow. I needed some ideas about the survival value of sound aesthetics. The word "binaural" occurred to me, which is sort of the audiological equivalent of binocular vision. And I finally found the Wikipedia article on "Sound Localization." It's great stuff if you're ready for some technical details, which I am.

Apparently some mammals are much better than humans at localizing sounds by direction and distance. They move their heads--much like Stevie Wonder always did--and also move their ears while staying in place. It's a very quick way for the right nervous system to localize a threatening or unknown sound--or even the pleading love cries that big dark cat keeps directing at our pretty little ginger cat.

So wiggling one's ears may have had some survival value in the distant human past. Superior visualization skills may have led to that skill not being passed down to most humans. But certain humans still have an extraordinary ability to wiggle their ears. Foremost among them is Thomas S. Monson. Perhaps it helps him to receive revelation, no one really knows. But I suspect that Monson is a living relic, a receptacle for junk DNA that merely reveals the somewhat random history of human development.

Does anyone really think that Adam could wiggle his ears?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 09:13AM

Creatures also use their ears as signals. When a horse has its ears back, watch out.

It could also be a mating signal trait. "Hey baby, look what I can do with these long, pendulous ears!"

And then soon followed by localizing sounds, "Was that your father I heard?"

Could Joseph Smith wiggle his ears?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 10:16AM

I never thought Tommy was anything special. I've seen plenty of ugly mongrels who could wiggle their ears.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 10:24AM

I can wiggle my ears, but I don't receive revelation, nor am I an "ugly mongrel". I'm also quite intelligent, thank you very much. But I can be a real jackass, especially to those who are unwittingly and ignorantly insulting to others. So there's that.

Date: March 25, 2016 10:48AM

Yes, I can see you're quite intelligent, but this jackass thing has me worried.

My original point was that there's probably no longer any survival advantage for humans who can wiggle their ears. If that's an insult, you can insult me right back by mentioning my tailbone. It's nothing special, really it isn't.

And NormaRae never claimed that only ugly mongrels can wiggle their ears. I hope you fully enjoy the body that nature has provided you.

Me? My ears look a bit like Mr. Spock's. My little sister really got a kick out of that.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 11:24AM

Your main point is not insulting; I agree with it. But your statement that an individual is "a living relic, a receptacle for junk DNA" belies a weird bias against ear wigglers, and implies we're more susceptible to harboring useless genes than the average hombre. I suddenly feel a need to start a movement demanding equal rights for ear wigglers; I had no idea we were so hated. But I need a better slogan than "ear wigglers unite!" Because that just sounds silly.

Never mind, I'm just being a jackass. I can't help it, it's in my junk DNA. :)

Date: March 25, 2016 11:32AM

OK, thanks for keeping me honest. I need to be in good form this afternoon.

Date: March 25, 2016 11:21AM

I've been thinking a bit about evolution. After all, that's what got me started.

If I'm right, advanced visualization skills wouldn't get rid of the genes for wiggling ears, which you may have misunderstood me to believe. However, they would eliminate any selection in favor of wiggling ears, leaving room for other traits to be expressed as well.

A better word for the DNA involved would be something like "superfluous" or "unnecessary" rather than "junk DNA." Sorry if that offended you. I was thinking of Monson and wouldn't hesitate to insult him.

Evolution really got rough sometimes, with lots of rape and genocide leading to our present condition. Thinking out loud about it doesn't always make one good company.

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 12:39PM

The term "junk DNA" is generally used to refer to introns in the dna sequence. Introns are not used to code proteins and are therefore often considered useless. In that sense, we all have a heck of a lot of junk dna.

Good luck with your seminar, hist. It sounds interesting. Incidentally, if the topic of junk dna does come up, be aware that it isn't as junky as it sounds - there's evidence it does serve a useful purpose.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 10:39AM

it made the kids laugh- and laughter is good

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 02:09PM

I've never seen Tommy Boy wiggle his ears. Is there a video clip?

I can wiggle my ears. Can also wiggle my nostrils like a rabbit. Maybe I could pass for a prophet like Brigham the prolific breeder.

Date: March 25, 2016 03:20PM

Google the Gilbert temple dedication. It's been cropped but Monson still makes everyone laugh.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 25, 2016 05:22PM

Since I don't think there WAS an "Adam" -- nope :)

My brother can wiggle his ears. At will, each independently, and with obvious motion.

Neither my sister nor I can, neither of my parents could.

Stray genes in there somewhere...?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.