Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMoinTexas ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 04:35PM

In the Endowment (tm) movie, Lucifer is shown wearing an apron.

When asked by Eloheim:

'What is that apron you have on?'

He replies:

'It is an emblem of my power and priesthoods'

That always struck me as really strange, considering that Adam and Eve (tm) are told to wear aprons by Lucifer.

Does that strike anybody else as f***ed up weird? Is there a message here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:48PM

Yeah, that it is one messed up mess.

It didn't help that the Lucifer back when I was attending was kinda sexy in a dark way. I had to keep telling myself NOT to think that.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 05:51PM

Elohim seems rather uninformed. Now if he had smirked and said, "Man, what IS that you've got on?" I would have had more respect for him.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 06:19PM

Yeh, and I never got how Peter,James n John (memory might be wrong) came down and say to lucifer 'wassup' and he's like 'I'm just teaching these ppl' and they say 'how's that going'

Like everything is cool between them. I was always a bit stumped by that. I thought they should have cast him out or something.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 07:13PM

'It is an emblem of my power and priesthoods'

So did god stick with Stans leafy apron because he liked it or did Stan steal the idea from god in a past we no nothing of?

Either way why would god stick with it? What with the "appearance of evil" and all that.

Posted by: templenameleah ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 07:15PM

Temple lucifer from my time (late 80s early 90s) was VERY sexy.

I WILL go down, Jehova...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 08:01PM

In the live endowment, Satan's apron had symbols familiar to Masons--trowels, pillars, and a square and compass the way it appears on Masonic buildings. (I'm not saying they ARE Masonic symbols because when I asked a temple worker, "Hey, why are there Masonic symbols on the devil's apron?" I was shushed and told they weren't Masonic symbols and that the temple worker didn't know what they were.) Funny, they sure looked like Masonic symbols to me--just like a Star of David looks like a Jewish symbol, or a crescent and star, an Islamic symbol.

So, my take was that the statement "my power and priesthoods" being said by Satan, combined with the Masonic symbols on the apron, was the way early 20th century Mormons insulted Masons--you're a false priesthood controlled by the devil.

Anyone else care to weigh in? The Boner.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 08:07PM by byuboner.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:35AM

I went through two different live endowments, one in Manti and
one in Salt Lake City. I payed particular attention to
Lucifer's apron in each session. The apron had different
symbols on it in the two sessions.

My guess is that whoever plays Lucifer needs an apron with
"symbols" on it and someone makes him one. I doubt that there
is any official meaning to the symbols.

Posted by: momonomo ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 09:32PM

When I was going to the temple, Lucifer was Michael Ballam, who's now the director of the Utah Festival Opera company in Logan.

Date: March 29, 2016 09:36PM

Yeah, and he didn't wear the fun apron because in the film version it was just was a deep blue apron without any marks. The Endowed Boner.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 09:51PM

Really? I thought it did have symbols on it. I haven't been inside a temple in over 20 years so I might be remembering it wrong. And yes, Michael Ballam is who I was referring to. He really seemed to get into the character in that particular temple film.

Date: March 29, 2016 10:50PM

The films did not have the apron with symbols on it. In the live endowment, the actor portraying Satan wore a black business suit with the blue apron covered by the suit coat (at one point, he opened his jacket so one could get a glimpse of the apron). In the film versions, he was dressed in red robes with a plan blue apron and the camera angle did not show much of it.

This was another one of those pesky questions I asked (to which I never received an answer): why is the devil's apron different in the live endowment?

Posted by: Exiled ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 10:02PM

I think the above is a clear sign why the temple is silly. It's just about loyalty oaths to the church and nothing more. At the time JS instituted the endowment, he was in fear of being turned over to the State of Missouri for prosecution. His writings at the time show that he was obsessed with secrecy and the ability to keep a secret as a result. So, it is not remarkable that his endowment ceremony doesn't make much sense if looked at closely. All he was after was to gain the loyalty of the members and put them under oath to be loyal to the church (which was actually a proxy for JS himself).

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: March 29, 2016 11:23PM

BTW, Adam asked Lucifer the apron question, as Adam didn't know who Lucifer was and what he was about. Elohim, on the other hand, knew exactly who Lucifer was.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:43AM

Well of course none of it makes sense, thats why you have to go back and see it a million times and can still come up with new explanations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.