Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:13PM

We've been married a really long time and it's our anniversary. He had to leave very early for work, and this is what I found on the table:

flowers--yay! love them

card--sweet!

a letter of several pages testifying of Joseph Smith and the Church. What?

I'm sure Joseph will love it. Take him out on a date, he'll like that. I won't say the rest of what I'm thinking.

Just looking for sympathy, not advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:14PM

Wow. Just wow!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:15PM

I would be tempted to hand him back the letter and tell him that he will be "sleeping with Joseph" tonight. :-/

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:17PM

Probably expressing love in the way he has been taught. Nothing says awkward like trying to blend Mormonism with real life. He probably also has bought into that belief that there was no one more hopelessly romantic than Joseph Smith, no one more in love with a woman than he was with Emma. (Just threw up in my mouth a little.)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:24PM

You have my sympathy. OMG. We all know he meant well in a misguided way, but Love should not be sullied with Mormonism. And, that little extra injection of the Mormon Adulterer in Chief is really too much. More sympathy extended.

Date: March 30, 2016 02:28PM

Adulterer in Chief! love that.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:27PM

He is saying "I love you" in HIS language.

A part of the way he is saying "I love you" is not YOUR language.

He is trying, in HIS way, to communicate something important to you.

Regardless of how "crossways" the letter about Joseph Smith and the church feels to you (and for very good reason!!!)...if you love HIM...take it in the way that HE meant it.

It is no different than your beloved dog companion proudly setting down in front of you a partially rotting, partially chewed bone, of unknown origin, that your dog found in some unknown place...

...you may not feel partial to the disgusting bone, but you give your dog plenty of loving affection for the feeling behind it.

Pretend the letter is your dog's bone, and start scruffing your husband's hair and giving him kisses.

It is your anniversary, and this is plainly---in your husband's "language"---LOVE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 01:28PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 01:30PM

My deepest sympathy.
No advice, just a simple I'm sorry he didn't get the memo about JS and you should have a trophy for putting up with so many years with someone who is clueless about JS as he seems to be. YOU are the saint in my opinion.

Will you ask him if he wants to focus on polygamy for the remainder of your marriage? He did leave information about Js so perhaps you were just wondering.

No advice here, except to say shred the paper, display the flowers and card. 1/3 of the anniversary gift was pathetic, so focus on the 2/3 that were appropriate; flowers and card.

A little origami might be in order too. Make something memorable with the pages he left. I can think of several gestures, but will refrain.

How do you cope with his testimony on all the other days?
Marriage. Nothing like a third person in the marital relationship. My wish for you is that the rest of your anniversary is wonderful and congratulations for hanging in there.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 02:20PM

Oh my god. If I had been in the mood that would have killed it right there. Goddamn.

Date: March 30, 2016 02:26PM

I wish I could hug you all. You have brought tears to my eyes and made me laugh too.

Tevai, I think I love you. Your advice is perfect. The visual is perfect. My dog has brought me some nasty stuff and I still love him. I love my husband too, and I hope he'll come to accept my change in belief. But for now I'll be patient.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 02:36PM

Wipe your ass with the testimony and thank him for the flowers and card.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 03:29PM

probably not getting laid tonight. :)

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 05:00PM

Or maybe they could have adult fun tonight, and in the midst of ecstasy the OP can shout out, "Oh Joseph! Oh Joseph!" "Make me your 34th wife!"

And other such Joseph pleasantries.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 30, 2016 04:51PM

3 way with JS?

They never want to you have a moment's thought that doesn't include TSCC.

gEEZ.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.