Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 10:26PM

I kind of like Richard Dawkins, although I don't like his use of straw men. But I understand, he has a real point to make. Maybe we shouldn't be using God as a lame excuse to do the awful things that humans do. Where God starts, humanity ends. That's bad.

But Dawkins is too much of a crusader for me. He can only take the argument so far without mending the linguistic fences that block reconciliation.

The semantics of what defines an atheist seem pretty muddy. It's like "Look, we agreed no leader right? So shut up and do as I say!". But it's okay, that means atheism is evolving. That's a huge improvement on religions, which don't evolve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:08PM

Sam Harris, The Problem With Atheism, 2007 AAI convention.
Ayan Hirshi Ali pretty much rocks that conventiin too.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:13PM

tell me a Dawkins strawman please.

Date: April 01, 2016 11:51PM

"I can't prove that God doesn't exist any more than I can prove that the Easter bunny doesn't exist."

Date: April 02, 2016 12:13AM

so tell us why this is a strawman.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:03AM

I can tell you this thread has become a strawman.

Posted by: InstructionalLOA ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 06:52AM

Cant even answer the question... doesn't seem to know what a strawman is, and thinks Hitler was an atheist.

Better be a troll. If not... lol.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 01, 2016 11:25PM

What are we watching them do? My favorite ones are dead.

Date: April 01, 2016 11:41PM

You forgot Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler
Eta: half this thread has been censored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 02:00AM by Cpete.

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 03:43AM

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 03:48AM

Nominally they were but Hitler stopped going as an adult.Not sure about Mussolini, but Hitler wasnt much of a Catholic. Let's talk about atheist monsters such as lenin and Stalin

Posted by: Visitors welcome ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 06:37AM

Hitler declared himself catholic from Mein Kampf (1924) tot his last radio address days before his death (1945) and hundreds of times inbetween. So I get quite cross when christians keep repeating this lie, knowing very well that a lie is what it is.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 12:02AM

Best in what way or what purpose?

I have a couple of favourites. Dawkins is really good at evolutionary biology but I know a couple of atheist comedians I'd rather watch for entertainment. There are no "best" neither subjectively or objectively until you have given us an idea of what area of expertise you are looking for. Best atheist magicians? Penn & Teller perhaps. Best atheist rapper? I have no idea.

Date: April 02, 2016 12:08AM

Penn and Teller are great - love their Bullshit (it's a Showtime TV series by that name).

Bill Maher is very funny too.

George Carlin, well what can I say?

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 12:19AM

I liked bullshit too. But my tbm family felt 'a darkness' around him. I know the name of that 'darkness' it's called "Fuck!"...

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 01:10AM

Oh yeah for humor Mr. Deity and Way of the Mister.

Date: April 02, 2016 12:55AM

To watch? or to read. Definitely if coming from Christianity, well it has to be Thomas Jefferson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

http://thejeffersonbible.com/

Jefferson got rid of all of the supernatural and "magic" nonsense and gave a clear philosophy and creed to live by using the words and acts of Jesus.

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 12:56AM by dydimus.

Date: April 02, 2016 12:59AM

Jefferson was a Deist,not an atheist although he is certainly worth reading.

Date: April 02, 2016 01:08AM

Yeah, I guess he was a "Deist"...yet, I choose to think that if he knew or lived during Darwin, Einstein, Hawkings, etc... I believe he would of chosen Evolution and Big Bang Theory and Higgs Boson.

What is Deism? 1.belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind

So a supreme being "created" a world, life, physics; but plays no part in it? That makes no sense. So if Jefferson was a deist, I think it's because he couldn't find the answers to creation or the reason for being during the time he lived except through a supreme being who no longer interacted with mankind.

Date: April 02, 2016 01:08AM

He also thought that owning other humans was OK.

Date: April 02, 2016 02:20AM

the religion of the Soviet block was the state. Not atheism.

Date: April 02, 2016 02:30AM

you seem to be confused about what constitutes a religion.

Date: April 02, 2016 02:37AM

Maybe. Why was half this thread deleted?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 02:38AM by Cpete.

Date: April 02, 2016 03:30AM

I wondered that do.

Date: April 02, 2016 03:42AM

Too,not do. Stupid autocorrect!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 08:54AM

My favorite quote from the Jefferson memorial:

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 01:14AM

I like Steven Weinberg and Daniel Dennett.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 02:11AM

Brother Maher and Brother Carlin are the only home teachers I need.

Date: April 02, 2016 02:30AM

I concur

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:01AM

Peter Boghossian

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:02AM

Tim Minchin:

Thank you god
The good book

"Confessions" rocks but leaves out religion

Basically, I love them all

Peace anthem for palestine, The fence, Lullaby ...

Posted by: Anon brit ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:14AM

Graydon Square for atheist rap. Even I you don't like rap you'll probably like him.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 04:42AM

Christopher Hitchens.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 07:54AM

P.J Meyers whose blog is Pharyngula. My husband the atheist likes him, and I find him smarter and less obnoxious than some of the others. A plus is that he is openly critical of the woman-bashing in the skeptical community, and he is a biologist.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 02, 2016 09:25AM

Thanks for sharing. I already found something I liked that he said. It's nothing big, but it just supports one of my earliest shelf-breaking items - the illogic of this earth being a proving ground after which we should be judged.

"Remember, too, that eternity is a very very long time. After 70 trillion years, anything you did on earth is gonna fade to insignificance. Your whole mortal existence is only going to be one one-trillionth of your first 70,000,000,000,000 years in heaven, but even that huge amount of time is an unimaginably small fraction of eternity. That means that having an “eternal view” of your purpose in life means reducing your entire mortal existence to meaninglessness. "

I feel like people never really spend any time imagining the expanse of eternity and how illogical it is to think that we should be judged after a "an unimaginably small fraction of eternity" and then ASSIGNED to a kingdom, or a REALM of existence, as if in the remaining eons of eternity we would never change or grow beyond its bounds.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.