Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 12:57PM

He was using the story of "Alice in Wonderland" in his talk and said "Chinese Cat" instead of "Cheshire Cat."

Besides that, he did better than I was expecting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lue ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 12:59PM

Yes, I caught that

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 01:12PM

Speaking of which, what do these old Utah Mormons think of Chinese people NOW? Is it different in other parts of the western world?

I've read some old writings about Chinese being ranked beneath Japanese and that they could only be servants in the CK. Don't know if it was/is doctrine.

Oh, and thanks, everyone, for answering all my dumb questions.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 01:38PM

A top leader of the Mormon church (Mark E. Petersen) said the following in 1954:

"With that in mind, can we account in any other way for the birth of some of the children of God in darkest Africa, or in flood-ridden China, or among the starving hordes of India, while some of the rest of us are born here in the United States? We cannot escape the conclusion that because of performance in our pre-existance some of us are born as Chinese, some as Japanese, some as Indians, some as Negroes, some as Americans, some as Latter-day Saints. These are rewards and punishments, fully in harmony with His established policy in dealing with sinners and saints, rewarding all according to their deeds."

You can read the entire address here:

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/curseofcain_appendix_b.htm

In other words, according to Petersen, everyone born in the world DESERVES the conditions they are born into based on their behavior in the pre-earth existence. However, as far as an official Mormon "hierarchy of the races"--I'm not aware of anything like that ever being published.

Today, the Mormon church seems to trying to become less discriminatory and more diverse, but is doing a pretty poor job, in my opinion. As has been noted often, the Mormon church seems to lag behind the rest of society by a good 50 years or so.

Posted by: sd allison ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 01:12PM

Yep. I thought it was funny, but it's sad too that he has to parade around and act like he still has the strength to act as president.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 01:46PM

Multiple choice:

* Chinese cat
* Siamese cat
* Cheshire cat
* Chelsea cat
* Worcestershire cat
* Monorail cat!
* Ceiling cat is watching you masticate!

This is prophesy, dammit! Pay attention, apostates!

Posted by: Onetruesteve ( )
Date: April 03, 2016 05:05PM

I excitedly took it as a prophetic slip regarding the role of China in the world's future.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.