Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:14PM

I would submit to you that the family is the least important thing to the ecclesiastic powers of the Mormon church.

The most important thing above and beyond all is "get the money".

It is my position that the money they force the member to pay is barefaced extortion.

Opinion anyone???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:18PM

Mormonism hijacks the family and makes it an appendage of the Church.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:20PM

Family is only invoked in service to the machinery of Mormonism. If a family member ceases to pretend at belief, that person is cast out.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 05:00PM

Whuh? I'm shocked...

{O,O}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 05:00PM by Bruce A Holt.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 05:03PM

Heh heh. The way it was put to me: if thy right hand offend thee...

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:22PM

The church inserts itself into the family, indeed, as the glue of the family and then warns that without it the family will not survive.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:24PM

Without the family the Mormon church has nothing to hold to it's members throats in order to extort money. So, yes. The Mormon church is very family oriented. They've got to have something to hold ransom or their scheme falls apart.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 12:59AM

Blueorchid is right.

The Family is the Mormon church's greatest weapon.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:28PM

Agreed. Overwhelming evidence for me is the temple endowment ceremony where it separates the men and women, along with the separation of the families at church (Primary, Priesthood, YMYW, RS), and how busy the church leaders keep their members with scripture study, genealogy, missionary work, journaling, teaching lessons, attending numerous meetings, temple attendance, VT/HT, janitorial services, etc. The leaders literally rob members of their time--time they could be spending with their family. And if that isn't enough, they demand 10% of the members' net income be paid to them as tithing.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 09:02PM

iris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And if that
> isn't enough, they demand 10% of the members' net
> income be paid to them as tithing.
===============================================
I thought it was gross, not net!

Posted by: justsaying ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:46PM

The Church is obsessed with that 7" long thing in my pants..

my Checkbook

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 09:04PM

LOL! The Boner.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 04:54PM

Women are supposed to be silent and submissive to the patriarchal order. That means whatever the men says goes.

If a woman is single/divorced/widowed then she is expected to be subject to the patriachal authority of her extended priesthood members. If they aren't around the local ward bishopric/stake president and so on.

Without questioning authority you are completely at their whim.

When I was active and newly single I recall one bishop telling me what he understood to be God's will and was in agreement with my decision to move across country for employment. I left with his blessing, and the blessings of the local ward/regional LDS ministry.

Once I had moved east my next priesthood authority told me I had no right to be in New York City, and it wasn't God's will. He also accused me of making it up when I told him my last bishop blessed me and affirmed it was the right thing for me to do.

It was utter insanity talking. He tried to strip me of my ability to think for myself and to make sound decisions for my family's welfare simply by virtue that I was now living in the boundaries of his branch. He was angry that I didn't just pack up and move to Utah to live with my brother who was in grad school at that time with his wife and three children he was supporting. He tried to order me to move there, without considering my needs at all.

A few months went by and he was fired from his position where he was earning a high salary. It forced his family to sell their home and he by his own volition moved to Utah where he was able to find another job at a fraction of what he had been earning in NYC. Several years went by and he came back to visit our branch. I was doing very well then, my children were thriving, and I was all in all happy with my life. I asked him then did he still believe I had no right to be in New York?

His answer? No, he did not think I had a right to be living there. Like some god dam gestapo, he was still trying to dictate to me how to live my life instead of just accepting me for who I was: an independent woman of the 90's capable of supporting my children and myself without a man to do it for me.

The same former branch president and his close advisors at one point tried to talk me into going back to be with my abusive husband (so not to break up the family home.) I doubt it had as much to do with that as the married women found my presence there in church meetings threatening to their marriages. I heard more than a few times how men would talk about me when I wasn't in ear shot to say how pretty I was or how nice my legs were etc.

Some of the older married women were just insecure that I was there, leading church music for years, going quietly about my business without needing a man by my side - and could hold down a job outside the home while raising children. They found that very threatening to the "Mormon family status quo."

Flashback to when my temple married parents got their civil divorce. All their married couple Mormon friends abandoned them on the spot. No wonder both my parents went inactive after that. They had zero support system from the morg.

Married couples were as threatened by TBM divorces as a TBM single woman with children in their midst. They just don't accept anyone who is subject to the same human frailties as the rest of society. Singles make up the largest segment of the adult community today.

But you won't see them populating the pews at LDS. Or older people. The last ward I attended old people were non-existent.

Where I worship now there are people of every age group. Single, marrieds, gay, straight, black or white, Spanish, Asian. No such diversity exists at Mormon Inc.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 09:43PM

Amyjo Wrote:
----------------------------------------

>
> Where I worship now there are people of every age
> group. Single, marrieds, gay, straight, black or
> white, Spanish, Asian. No such diversity exists at
> Mormon Inc.
>

Any Esquimaux?

Anyone ever seen an Esquimaux's bare legs?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 10:05PM

In Pacoima?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 03:51AM

Were your kids treated any differently because you were a single mom? My mom was single too, raising us kids in the church. I remember being picked on a lot. I'm just wondering if there was a general undercurrent of "they're less than".

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 07, 2016 11:35PM

How can it exploit it? Define it? Use it...

In LDSpeak, family is just another name for a team of increasing units of bodies and time, a constant flow of fresh $, (free labor) "callings", revenue, advertising, insurance, assets, positions, 'help', supporters...

Mormonism doesn't know how to define, honor or respect a family, but it can use one.

New families have no place in TMC.
A family is only good in Mormonism if it can be used.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 12:48AM

The family is the primary business, sales, and revenue unit of LDS INC. It is imperative that these units be as large as possible to ensure adequate numbers of peons for the future. The highly regimented, defined interactions and functions are required to operate the core activities of the church. These units need to be as homogeneous as possible for ease in record keeping and revenue maximization. Any threat to the uniformity of these units must be strongly discouraged.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 04:08AM

Babylon, I think usually children in single parent homes are treated less than by the others. They tend to learn, from their stupid self righteous parents, to shun and belittle.

Posted by: anontodayandtomorrow ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 08:50AM

family is only important in the church as long as it doesn't interfere with the church. the church's favorite hymn "families can be together forever" should be changed to "families can be together forever for at least one hour a week monday nights"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.