Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 11:52AM

If you are raising your kids outside the church what is it like? Are they having any negative experiences with the Mormon kids and their Mormon parents. My nevermo wife who was raised in Utah just told me that some Mormon kids told her and her twin sister that they weren't allowed to play with them when they were growing up because they weren't LDS. #notacult I'm wondering what kind of challenges my future kids will have that will most likely be raised in Utah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BI ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 12:01PM

I hope you get some good replies.

I have family in the morridor. My cousin is out, his wife still in. Their son was just baptized. I've asked him (my cuz), and he said that he only agreed to the baptism because he was afraid his son would be shunned in school.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 01:21PM

All of whom live in Utah, only one is an exmo having married a Catholic young man-she converted to Catholicism just prior to their marriage. We finally had the pleasure of meeting this young man and since he had grown up in UT I asked him how it was for him (in Ogden). He did indicate Mormon kids weren't allowed to play with him because he wasn't Mormon.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 01:28PM

I am raising my kids in Utah. They tell me that their Mormon friends hate being Mormon. They only go because of their parents. I really haven't had any negative issues.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 01:28PM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 01:40PM

We moved to Sandy when my kid was 18 months. Very LDS neighborhood, mostly older mormons with grown kids & a lot of grand kids. Next door neighbor (best LDS neighbor I've had) had some nice adult kids with their little kids. As my daughter got older they would let her bounce on their trampoline with their grand kids. Everyone got along. One Sunday, the same kids that she normally played with, were over. My daughter asked if she could play & one of the in law Moms told her "No honey- this is Sunday- only for family and church friends today." My kid was crushed. Bought her a trampoline the next week. A few younger mormons moved in with small kids. Once they found out that we weren't LDS & had no intention of becoming LDS, they didn't invite my daughter to play anymore. We put our kid in Challenger (private) Pre- School & then elementary. She's been in private schools ever since. She thrives in academics & athletics. Most of the parents have their kids in private school to avoid the mormon public schools. While my mormon neighbors mostly ignore us, they ignore each other too. Never lived in such a boring, cold neighborhood. No block parties, BBQ's, Shrimp Boils, social anythings. They all leave the house at the same time Sunday mornings with sour looks on their faces.
My kid has a lot of friends, they just live blocks or a few miles away instead of next door.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.