Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 01:26PM

Apologists like to show the "church is true" because even though JS threw out several big shots they never* disavowed the BoM. Whether they actually thought JS wasn't the main creator and that Sidney Rigdon wrote a lot of it I don't know.

Some people posit that it would be too embarrassing to their reputation to admit it was a scam, or that they simply wanted get the hell out and be done with it, but how often do you suppose JS threatened them with life & limb, as in temple-style "throat cut from ear to ear" and "bowels gush out" stuff; I say this because I interpret the penalty promise implies that someone else will do the damage.

*"never" is highly debatable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 04:12PM

Sidney couldn't tell the truth about the real origin of the BofM without tarnishing his own reputation. And didn't he want to keep on being looked up to?

I kinda think the same of the BofM witnesses... If they admitted that they lied in their statements, they were admitted flawed characters, and most of us tend to avoid such activity.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 05:24PM

Joseph was a master manipulator. He made it plain to women not to cross the Prairie Godfather. I suppose he would have made the same threats to men.

I can't say he used "button men" (okay, there was Porter), but his problems did seem to disappear as if by magic.

On another tack, there is speculation that he was expert in the use of datura, a psychoactive plant that can kill if used improperly. He would have known of other plants. Sanitation was poorly known back then, so a poison death could be chalked up to cholera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 05:30PM by bradley.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 06:50PM

We benefit from almost clearer vision now looking back than those directly involved...while the drama is unwinding its like us muddling through our own daily dramas...many times oblivious to how it will play out...its my feeling that many of those attracted to this carnival barker were already magic believing superstitious people...a lot like many ive known in church and especially plyg culture...plygs maybe more so imo...these types are easily awed with parlor tricks of course gold plates..caves...and swords of laban...or visions seances etc...and fanciful creative stories like the b of a and pogp...the bigger the story the harder some would swallow...slippery treasure peep stones...yehoo where do i sign...and seeing as the vision crap halted after kirtland it would almost indicate artificially induced inspiration...up until john taylor palavered with christ and joe in 1886 ...and lorenzo snow supposedly saw christ and had his second grease job when lost in the canyons...it all smells a lot like fish...these days faith covereth a multitude of ridiculousness

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 07:12PM

We do have some measure of Joes distaste for disagreement in william laws accts...anyone who voiced disapproval was liable to threats of bodily harm..id be surprised if briggys aholiness wasnt learned from joe...hard to believe dissenters might get their throats cut or shot...sure seems that was the case even before going west

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.