Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: April 05, 2016 10:26AM

Hi it has been a while since I have been on here. Let me just say that I have never been to a General Conference in person, and I am glad! I did not grow up in the church and did not join until I was 18. But after being in the MTC where every meeting, class, and day was like a mini General Conference, I know how mind numbing, uncomfortable and boring they can be.
I want to express my sympathy for those of you who grew up in the morg and whose parents dragged you up to Salt Lake City to stand in line for hours, and than have to sit and listen to one droning talk after another and being told how great it is. I just wanted to say that I am glad I never had to go through that.
I feel for all of the kids and teenagers who are forced by there parents to have to spend an entire weekend being force fed that crap. If any of you have any conference stories, I would be glad to listen. thanks.
BTW I never watch conference or listen to those guys anymore!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 04:39PM by tombs1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 09:49PM

> I feel for all of the kids and teenagers who are
> forced by there parents to have to spend an entire
> weekend being force fed that crap. If any of you
> have any conference stories, I would be glad to
> listen. thanks.
> BTW I never watch conference or listen to those
> guys anymore!

Think about those TBM Molly Mormon trainee teen girls sitting in the front sections, only about 10-15 rows from the stage, taking down notes in their notebook, using full names with initials, acting offended when you hold up a camera phone.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 10:01PM

Here's a missionary's view of this recent conference:

"My favorite talk from general conference was from the prophet it was simple and short but has so many spiritual messages in it, A lot of the talks had a bunch of hidden messages and meanings. To find them all we must read and listen to them over and over and I will promise you all as you read and listen to them you will be able to find new meaning in them, We just need to pay attention. I hope you will all join me in trying to get the most we can out of these talks..."

So forget being bored to tears just listening to the talks, he wants us to "...read and listen to them over and over..."!!

Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 10:12PM

If I had to do that, it would be Hell on earth for me!!!!!!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 11:25PM

What the brain will do to protect itself is amazing.

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a missionary's view of this recent
> conference:
>
>
> "My favorite talk from general conference was from
> the prophet it was simple and short but has so
> many spiritual messages in it, A lot of the talks
> had a bunch of hidden messages and meanings. To
> find them all we must read and listen to them over
> and over and I will promise you all as you read
> and listen to them you will be able to find new
> meaning in them, We just need to pay attention. I
> hope you will all join me in trying to get the
> most we can out of these talks..."
>
>
> So forget being bored to tears just listening to
> the talks, he wants us to "...read and listen to
> them over and over..."!!

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: April 11, 2016 10:40AM

Why on earth would you need to read/listen to them over and over?! Those old clowns speak at a 6th grade level, if you can't get exactly what they are saying, you have no business calling yourself an adult!

Posted by: satans sister ( )
Date: April 11, 2016 10:34AM

It's very clever to leave people looking for hidden symbolism in the church teachings. It's very interesting and mysterious to people. While, at the same time, ensuring that they will repeat, repeat, repeat mindless crap into brainwashing. Repetition is the fodder of cults.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: April 11, 2016 01:05PM

Well you know your supposed to watch all of the sessions. Then read all of the talks in the Ensign. Then share all of the information with others by HT/VT. Remember every word is revelation for 6 months. Then they can retract anything that they want to.

Where's the brainwashing?

And they wonder why mormons don't know the scriptures very well. They don't have time to read what was historically said with all of the profound information from the living prophets.

Sigh......

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 11, 2016 02:43PM

I remember having the wonderful opportunity to listen to all of general conference when I was a missionary at the LTM ( now the MTC) in Provo. I remember sitting on a hard chair and finally getting a break from eternal language training classes.
A chance to sit and ponder what the hell I was doing here, and how freaking awful the mind numbing cult indoctrination was; I remember learning how to fall asleep there with my eyes open and dream of my girlfriend, and playing music in bands, powder skiing, and my friends at college and thinking just 23 more months of this sh!t. I don't remember a single word of the conference or who even spoke but likely was Paul Dunn, Boyd Packer and Spencer Kimball.

I also remember attending a fireside with Bruce R. McConkie as the speaker. It was in the Wilkonson center and he was worshiped by the BYU students like he was Paul McCartney - and the whole thing ended with the student body rising and singing Deutschland Uber Alles ... no wait ... The Spirit of God. And now poor Apostle Bruce has fallen from favor and his doctrine is denied, and only his descendants have favor as behind the scenes keepers of the lords secrets and wealth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.