Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bentaylor23 ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 06:43PM

So not living in happy valley Utah, I am known to most as "the Mormon" at work. I've always hated the label, mostly because I've always doubted and hated the past of the church but now that I'm not active anymore it bugs me even more. Employees always ask me stupid shit I don't care to explain like polygamy etc. Its almost like having to defend your child molesting uncle or something.

How do others handle this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 06:43PM by bentaylor23.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 06:56PM

Growing up in Idaho, I always hated feeling provincial. Once I got out into the world at large, being of Mormon heritage became a thing that made me unusual. If people are asking questions, I consider myself an educator. I enjoy sharing information about a culture that many people are curious about, and I am happy to do it before they ask the missionaries about it.

I don't take responsibility for the religion or the culture. I didn't invent it and I didn't choose it. It was an accident of birth, and I take neither credit nor blame.

I keep a sense of humor about it. People think it's ridiculous. I do too. We can laugh about it together, and we can do it without being mean-spirited. In fact, people appreciate getting answers from someone who lived it first-hand, but no longer believes, so they don't have to worry about offending.

If for any reason I don't want to discuss a topic, I simply say, "I'm sorry. I'm really not comfortable discussing that." You may add a reason if you like, but most people have the good graces to accept that answer.

Whether you choose to discuss it or not, there is no reason for you to feel bad about it unless you happen to be the reincarnation of Joseph Smith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 06:57PM by Pista.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 07:00PM

Resign and laugh with your colleagues about the crazy religion you were part of.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 07:16PM

Your co-workers need to be trained to respect that religion doesn't belong at work.

"Ha-ha-ha, I think we were talking about work goals? Let's not discuss religion here at work. Okay? Ha-ha. Now about the product costs . . . "

"I'm not comfortable talking about that church when I'm working. But thanks for your interest. About that computer glitch . . . "

"I need a break in the break room. If you want answers about churches you might want to call on a pastor or minister."

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 07:26PM

I enjoy talking about the church at work. I have a great laugh at the Mormon church's expense.

I enjoy pointing out the crazy shit they believe (or used to believe before Satan invented the internet). I have fun with the cultural aspects too.

That I was an RM, married in the temple just gives me more authority to embarrass the church when the opportunity arises. LOL

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 07:36PM

I tell people with glee when they find out I was raised Mormon.

Usually it starts out with when people ask about my childhood or it's relevant in class, I simply explain I was raised in a religious cult with arbitrary rules and a lot of odd beliefs. It's been eye-opening for many people, and I've met several fellow exmos this way, too.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 07:48PM

I love when it comes up when I'm with Latinos, so I can explain to them how it is that we're such a nice, rich mocha color. I've never had any of them, after they've stopped laughing, wish they were Nephites.

Date: April 09, 2016 10:50AM

Oh, yes. It was especially entertaining to tell the Yuma Latinos about that when I lived in AZ. It's even more fun here to tell the Natives, especially since the cult is pretty popular around here. :P

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 02:49PM

Hey Itzpapalotl, when did you live in Yuma? I graduated there in 1966.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 02:50PM

And still have ties there.

Date: April 09, 2016 07:29PM

I was there in 2009-2010. BF was offered a very good opportunity to work on the All American Canal on the border of Mexico, CA, and AZ. We were both sick of being back in Utah, so moved there. I actually liked it down there, especially being only three hours from the ocean so we could take day trips and spend time in CA and Mexico, too.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 07:55PM

I loved it. I would tell people about the dark secrets of Mormonism and Mormon history. I got a lot of laughs and some raised eyebrows.

I talk about my polygamous great grandpa all the time, wherever I may be. My only inheritance is a truckload of odd stories, and I aim to share.

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 08:03PM

Since it's no skin off my back how others perceive the craziness that is Mormonism, whenever someone asks me something about it, I answer as honestly as possible. No sugar coat, no positive spin. Just the naked truth. And every time, they get this look in their eyes like I'm pulling their legs.

When I was a true believer and people would ask me questions about it, I would get so flustered, nervous, red-faced, hyper-ventilated. I was so worried I would say the wrong thing or make the church sound bad. Well, let me tell ya, those days are gone. It feels so good to blithely tell all the big, bad secrets. Yeah, that's right, Mormon Church. Outsiders think you sound creepy. Why should anyone respect creepy?

And also keep in mind----Anyone can fall for a cult. Anyone. So don't feel like you are less of a human being because of having belonged to one once upon a time. Our best bet now is to educate, educate, educate. So hopefully others don't fall for the same trap.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 08:55PM

Possible responses:

"Pay me ten bucks a week or I'll give the missionaries your home address."

"The best thing about the magic underwear is how much bigger my penis is now. That's why they call it the 'endowment' ceremony."

"Everyone's allowed to go to the temple. Except guys named 'Dave.' They hate guys named 'Dave.'"

"During my baptism I farted. That's a no-no."

"We're not allowed to drink alcohol, coffee, or tea. Fortunately they didn't say anything about antifreeze."

"The slots in the Las Vegas Temple are a rip-off."

"If you're obedient in this life, then after you die you go to the Celestial Kingdom. This is basically Disneyland with no lines and cleaner rest rooms."

"The goal of every Mormon should be to be an 85-year-old white guy. Then everybody else has to obey you."

"The missionaries wear little blue tags so they can remember their own names after the brain damage kicks in."

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: April 08, 2016 09:27PM

That is the best :)))

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 11:46AM

If you don't want to discuss religion, don't discuss religion. I would simply state, "I was raised in the Mormon church, but I no longer practice." Most people would understand that. If they press further, say, "Yes, Mormons have a lot of unusual beliefs and practices. If you want to know more, there is a website called "Mormon Think" that you might find interesting. But honestly, I'm no longer interested in discussing it." That should shut them down.

Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: April 09, 2016 08:16PM

When people ask I reply by saying I was forced to go to that stupid racist cult as a kid and would never wish it on anyone. Mostly it's turned out to be Mormons who've asked, and they get a horrified look on their faces like I puked on their shoes.

If they press for a reason I left, I say it's a combo of abuse, general creepiness, and that it's a bunch of horse hockey anyway. Nevermos seem fascinated by the overall absurdity, while Mormons are often less amused.

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 12:24AM

Don't include yourself among them.

If you choose to talk about TSCC, make sure you call them "the Mormons." "The Mormons do this," "the Mormons believe that," and so on. People will know that you don't consider yourself a "Mormon" that way.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 12, 2016 12:32AM

"Its almost like having to defend your child molesting uncle or something." - No, it is your child molesting profit instead.

Most people just resign then tell everyone you resigned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.