Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: aisuru ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 12:56PM

I have heard this rumor, I don't know anything about Monson's family. Anyone know if it's true that he has a son that left the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ex_sushi_chef ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 07:38PM

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: May 07, 2011 07:58PM

Tom (the Thomas L Monson in the above article) works for Kirton & McConkie in SLC - the Church's attorney firm:

http://www.kmclaw.com/component/attorney/?attorney_id=64:Thomas-L-Monson

Youngest son, Clark Monson, is a professor in the Geography Department at BYU:

http://geography.byu.edu/Faculty.dhtml

They both have very strong ties to the Church. Therefore, it is highly unlikely either has left it.

Date: May 09, 2011 08:12PM

Cool, thanks for the info :)

Posted by: curious ( )
Date: May 30, 2013 01:11PM

If you read the article, it was actually Thomas L Monson who was suing Bottomly for false accusations of sexual harassment after he was fired for her claims. She was then fired because her claims were found to be groundless and then she sued the company for sexual discrimination. This law suit was settled outside of court... so it is hard to say if allegations of sexual harassment had any validity...

Posted by: SammieJo ( )
Date: February 06, 2014 02:38AM

Oh, they are true. I don't know the woman, but scumbag Tom had lots of dirt for dad to sweep under the carpet for him.

Date: May 09, 2011 08:11PM

That was interesting....if the sexual harassment claims were all true (sounds like they were), he seems like a real jerk.

aisuru means "to love" in Japanese (according to google). Just a word I came across and like. I don't speak Japanese.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 02:37PM

I have visited Japan a lot and know a little Japanese. Google translate does not have a good handle on versions and shades of meanings of words and usage. Best to ask a native speaker when they would use the forms ai suru, it may not be the love - infinitive verb you expect in English.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: May 09, 2011 02:45PM

last saturday morning i attended a wedding in heber at which thomas l monson conducted the ceremony. he is currently the bishop of a singles ward at the university of utah. he looked a little tired as if he was carrying the weight of his family name.

Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: May 10, 2011 06:31AM

He is currently a bishop of a singles ward and has been sued for sexual harassment in the past. Interesting...

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: May 30, 2013 01:18PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 01:31PM by Thomas $. Monson.

Posted by: SammieJo ( )
Date: February 06, 2014 02:33AM

Tommy Jr isn't an apostate, but he is one of the most obnoxious persons I've ever known. I've known him over 40 years.

Cocky, petty, entitled, are some of his better traits. He was guilty of harassing that woman and was arrested a few years prior to that scandal for solicitation.

A few years ago Tom, his wife and some friends were eating at Flemings, just a few tables from me. I was forced to hear his, "Blah, blah, blah" dominating the conversation as usual, while the others reveled to be in the very presence of the son of The Man.

Yuck!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 03:12PM

I can back up SammieJo on the solicitation arrest. I had a friend who once worked at DesNews and he/she told me about it and how the church suppressed it from being reported. This was in the 80's, I think but could have been early 90's. I'm getting a little foggy with dates now.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: April 13, 2016 03:54PM

Both making a living off LDS, Inc. It's a family tradition.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.