Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ballaboy234 ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:13PM

I honestly feel that the reason most girls who go astray in the church come back only because they want to get married in the temple; they all want to feel like a princess and the temple kinda gives you that. It's really beautiful and enticing, and most girls want to feel special on their wedding night.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:15PM

Temples are a must for Mormon bragging rights and to be accepted as part of the cult.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:17PM

This is only true if the young blonde has a Facebook account.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:30PM

If that freak show makes you feel like a princess you are in the wrong Kingdom. That temple garb is in no little girl's princess dreams.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:38PM

Too bad the actual ceremony is such a colossal letdown. And too bad their princess-perfect gowns are spoiled by the temple accoutrements that have to go over it.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:40PM

Temples are weird places (I've been to two). Not my style of architecture or interior design. Plus, would it kill them to put in a couple of vending machines next to the curtain thingee? Waiting my turn for the guy with the hammer and the other guy I always get a screaming case of the munchies.

However I do like the hot tubs surrounded by cattle. Some day I'd like a hot tub, too, although I think I'll surround mine with statues of possums instead of cattle. Or gnomes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:54PM

I have to wonder that if they could see a video of a temple sealing, if they'd still be so keen on it.

Having worked in the interior decorating industry, I find the decoration of temples to be mediocre in the extreme. From reports on this board, evidently the decorators are severely constrained as to what they are allowed to select. I'm sure that the church's favored vendors are a part of the old boy's club that looks out for one other. Everyone else is just an ATM to them.

Posted by: Ballaboy234 ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:15PM

This is also my train of thought. If they were able to see how wacky the ceremony actually was, they probably would think twice about getting married in the temple. Maybe that's why they don't tell you shot during temple prep, it honestly doesn't prepare you for the freakshow you're about to get yourself into.

Posted by: Lurker92 ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 02:35PM

When I was an 18 year old girl, I was inside the Timpanogos temple waiting area, & I got this sick feeling as I watched people going in & out of the temple. I thought, "Something isn't right." I had already been having lots of doubts about the church, even without knowing anything about the history. I knew that night that I needed to find out what happens in the temple. So I went to my old trusted friend, Google, & cam across this board with accounts & stories of people's experiences, including their wedding days. I was like, "Um... yeah, this church is bullshit, I'm leaving!" So I did. :) I am not wearing an green apron on my wedding day! And I think every young Mormon girl who finds out that's what is required for a temple wedding would leave the church like I did, too.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 12:55PM

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:12PM

Tapirs?

Woops--I just set of the klaxon*

*[Inside joke for fans of the British show QI]

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:05PM

I don't find the temples beautiful, and if the girls who planned weddings there were to spend more time googling "LDS temple ceremonies," they might not find the idea of a wedding there quite so appealing, but still I get your point. It's a pity that LDS temples are not decorated more like Masonic halls, from which so much of their symbolism stems.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:07PM

I never thought the temples were particularly beautiful. Seemed rather hotelish to me. The bride is not treated very special -- they are just a number ....

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:07PM

Doesn't the bride have to veil herself during the ceremony to hide her face??

I can't think of anything more off-putting...most particularly during what is intended (for most young women) to be a romantic, lyrical, once-in-a-lifetime change in earthly, and in eternal, status.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 01:28PM by Tevai.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:35PM

No she doesn't veil her face during the wedding. She does promise to give herself to her husband, and he promises to receive her, but not to give himself to her. She also promises to receive him.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 02:14PM

That's an omission that says a lot.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 03:13PM

It really made me angry. I didn't notic it on my wedding day, it was years later.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:49PM

Although weddings are supposed to be a celebration, they are often more of an opportunity to show off as you make it all about the bride. The ceremony is unromantic and would not impress anyone outside of a tight TBM circle. There is very good reason that it is even more secret than sacred. Deep down they would be embarrassed to have anyone see it.

They just want the photo of them in their real wedding dress in front of the temple to put as a framed trophy on the book case or in the scrap book. They want everyone smiling in the photo like they weren't excluded. They want the proof that their wedding was special because the photo is all they are going to get to prove that since they were just a number standing in line in a silly get-up just moments before wondering why they are now called Elijah and Naomi.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 02:02PM

and overexpose the photo just slighty to make the skin tone delightsomely white.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 01:53PM

I don't think it has much to do with girls thinking that temples are beautiful. It's drilled into girls from the time they're young that the temple is special and it's the only place that they should consider getting married. Girls (and boys) are taught that their marriage won't really "count" if it's not a temple marriage. I think many would still marry in the temple even if the temple were ugly (and some are).

I know of two couples who recently married in the temple just to appease their parents and extended family. Within weeks of their weddings, they were back in their short shorts and tank tops and forgetting about church on Sundays. I think we're going to see more and more of that in the coming years. Many of today's kids aren't as dedicated to the church as their parents were and their age. Everything about the temple can be researched online now. The temple has lost its mystery and with it its specialness. Couples will get married in the temple just to conform with the Mormon culture, but many will have no intention of staying in the church.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 02:48PM

... complete with Cinderella's castle.

And then comes the shell-shocked surprise when they experience the reality. They never hear anything negative about the temple, from anyone they trust, before they go through it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 05:42PM by lurking in.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 02:49PM

"they all want to feel like a princess and the temple kinda gives you that." -

If you adore beige with all your heart then it might be a dream come true for some girls. To me beige is not a color, it is a crime!

But I know of no princess or anyone else who wants to promise to disembowel themselves or slash their throats.

Perhaps it is the Lucifer thing. Maybe some girls want to be the princess of Lucifer and feel so wonderful when they take the command to put on the apron of HIS priesthoods.

I think all women who marry in the temple take their own husband as a stand in [so someone will be standing next to them]. But they are really marrying Lucifer and they prove it by putting on his apron on his command. After all it is Lucifer's temple so makes sense.

BRUTALLY BORING BEIGE EVERYWHERE!
Watch the endowment ceremony on you tube and see for yourself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 03:38PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 02:53PM

Date: April 16, 2016 03:31PM

This is ten times prettier than any temple ever was or ever will be and it is NOT beige!

Date: April 16, 2016 03:32PM

See, Beige everywhere just like the SLC temple!

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 03:07PM

Disney's Cinderella castle. The RM prince and the whole nine yards. "And they lived happily ever after" for time and all eternity. NOT.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 03:31PM

Yea, if you only knew beforehand what really goes on in there (weird ceremony) they wouldn't think it was so pretty.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 04:13PM

in the sky.
He offered a fairy tale for giving up your resistance to his sexual advances.
It worked to claim at least 33 victims that we know of, and probably many more that were not as well documented.
And it still works to exploit Mormons of their time, talent and ability to reason independently from the herd mentality they were born into.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 05:35PM

The selling of the "fairy tale romance temple marriage families are forever" is a HUGE marketing technique of Mormonism.

The whole selling of the fairy tale romance is big in our culture for girls, in general, too.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 05:55PM

I get the distinct impression when I go to Temple Square and see young couples posing in front of the Temple, that it's exactly like Snow White's Castle and they're the ones who found their prince charming, who whisked them off on a white charger.
That's how I was made to feel in the Temple sealing.
It was definitely something I could see how everything made perfect sense to me in the temple, forwards and backwards, how I got here, why I was here and where I was going. ]
Nothing has ever been so clear to me as it was then.
Now, 30 yrs later, I can't believe I was ever so simplistic.
I can't fathom the fact that I fell for Joseph's Myth, hook, line and sinker. I finally just chalked it up to being socialized to believe the abusive doomsday sex CULT I was born into was really the best alternative for my parents, and 3 generations before them, even though neither of them believed it. Dad was raised in it but didn't really believe it was true, just because he prayed about it and asked God for an answer. When god never got back to him, he figured that was his answer.
Mom never liked the way the church treated blacks and women. Still doesn't. I thought the women were gorgeous and virtuous and good wives and mothers. So I followed that, hoping it was all true.
Little did I know that the whole time I was growing up in my naive little shire, my whole LDS Scout troop was being raped, except me, because my parents didn't force me to do scouts. My friends were forced into it, due to the fact that they couldn't drive before they Earned an Eagle Scout.
I found out at 40, as a 'NOM', married to a devout Molly Mormon mother of our 4 children.
Come to find out the abuse is rampant in my Mormon world. It's horrific and its still ongoing. If I told you what I know about abuse in the church, you'd call the authorities.
I know a lot and I'm the only one in my troop who was not silenced out of money or fear.
I lost my best friend to a Mormon abuse scandal.
He was one of the victims, but he's still Mormon.
Once I took a stand on our freinds behalf, against the church, I couldn't remain silent about how I really felt about the Mormon church enabling rape of children and covering it up like the Catholic Church did, only worse.
Mormon families turn on their kids when their kids come forward about the abuse they've suffered as chilren, at the hands of a Mormon Penisholder who was protected, because Mormons were more interested in "Protecting the Good name of the Church" (their egoes) than they were in protecting my friends and many, many more kids who were vicitmized, because these lying bastards failed to report a rapist to the authorities, because the guy showed up in a suit and tie every Sunday and all of his victims had a lesser preisthood.
Fuck this fucking CULT!

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 06:09PM

When I was a little girl,I saw fancy weddings on TV and in the movies. I also watched coverage of Princess Margaret's wedding.These wedding involved beautiful churches which looked a bit like the Sl temple on the outside at least. I was sold. Then I saw pictures of the sealing rooms as well as the rest of the temple. They were pretty, but looked more like a fancy hotel than a cathedral. About the same time, I found out about the worthiness thing which meant most of my family wouldnt be allowed in. Then there were the god awful garmies. I lost interest in the temple right then.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 07:35PM

No, it's the brainwashing from the time they are born and illusion that the Cult sells of how they will have a fairy tale wedding, not the Temple. Temples themselves are kind of ugly and plain compared to Cathedrals in Europe.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 07:41PM

They should put a picture of a Mormon couple in full temple attire on the youth handbooks. That way the youth would know what they are getting into.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.