Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:16PM

Employees at Kentucky's new Noah's Ark attraction must be Christian and 'profess Christ as their savior'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3540683/Noahs-Ark-job-float-boat-Then-Christian.html#ixzz45vMEa5ez
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Need help from the lawyers here -- this is a tourist attraction, not a religious retreat. I can't believe a judge actually agreed this was legal under the Civil Rights Act.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:28PM

They probably organized as a religious mission which would exempt them from hiring discrimination laws.

http://www.civilrights.org/lgbt/enda/religious-exemption.html

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:33PM

Job applicant: "Oh, yeah, sure, I'm--I'm, like, totally Christian and stuff. I go to church like, all the time--Sundays even. You can check with the--you know, the head guy. Pastor! That's it--the pastor! You can ask the pastor down at the, um, First Church of um Jesus the um Christian..."

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:39PM

LOL!

Yes! "My favorite book? The Bible!" "My favorite book is the Bible and I'd like to read from "Two Corinthians......"

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 04:49PM

You would think they might at least CONSIDER Jews, right???

After all..."Noah's ark" is an old JEWISH story...

Anti-Semites for sure...Grump, grump, grump...

:) :) :)

;)

Posted by: Obvious ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 05:26PM

I guess they couldn't hire Noah, either.

Idiots.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:37PM

You'd have to be a died-in-the-wool religious zealot to be able to spout the stuff their outfit believes (Adam and Eve inhabited Earth alongside the dinosaurs, the world is only 6,000 years old, etc.). Not a job for just anyone.

I'm not convinced it will be a profitable business after the first few years.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:46PM

Years? I was thinking this puppy will crash and burn in less than 18 months.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:50PM

HR Drone: "Do you believe in virgin birth, a omnipotent, omniscient god without body, parts or passions, miraculous healing, the dead rising from their graves, food being multiplied to feed thousands, that 6000 years ago the universe was created out of nothing in six days, that dinosaurs and man coexisted before an Earth-covering flood wiped out all life save for only a few people and animals in a wooden boat, that a man who was really God and the Holy Ghost, but really only one person, was executed on a cross but came to life again in three days, that a real being called Satan exists, is malevolent and causes all of the world's problems and that you can go to heaven forever with God if you just believe that it will happen?"

Applicant: "If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:52PM

(And a month later)

Former applicant, now working: "This job is definitely not worth eleven-five a year!"

Date: April 15, 2016 04:44PM

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 05:01PM

Christianity: "The belief that a Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 06:46PM

I'd have trouble being a Walmart greeter, never mind a Christian doctrine spouting robot at Noahland!!

RB

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 03:41PM

Date: April 15, 2016 04:46PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 04:50PM

What's ironic is that Jews can't work there, because Noah and the Ark is a JEWISH story.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 04:00PM

What percentage of their teeth do they need?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 06:47PM

More than 3???? LOL

RB

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 04:16PM

I don't think this "museum" is going away any time soon. I see fundamentalists in my city wearing Noah's Ark jackets for example. It appears they make groups trips up to KY to see the displays.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 05:06PM

To be honest, I was surprised that this had to go before a federal judge in the first place. This is not a state-run operation; it's a non-profit Christian group running the thing; and atheists (unlike African-americans, women, and blind people) are not a protected class under federal law.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 05:27PM

"non-profit Christian group running the thing"

There's your problem. They are running the park as a for-profit venture. On top of that, they are getting tax breaks for it. The Creationist Museum is a non-profit, this theme park is not.

Being a for-profit public venture means that they can't (or shouldn't) discriminate in their hiring practices. And yes, religion is a protected class (See the Civil Rights act of 1964). In theory, they shouldn't be able to ask at all.

As they are also getting significant tax breaks, that's another problem with discriminating.

They are breaking the law with their hiring practices, unfortunately they found a sympathetic judge. I think it'll go to appeals, depending on how far people want to push it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 05:27PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 05:28PM

I guess Jewish people wouldn't be allowed to work there, even though Noah's Ark is a Jewish story. Even Catholics wouldn't be allowed to work there, as this sounds like a group that doesn't consider Catholics to be Christian.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 05:45PM

There were no Christians back then. If anything they would be Jehovah Witnesses.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 06:07PM

The reason could this:
Most amusement parks employ a lot of young gay people. You see it a lot.

There's a story about Disney World having a lot of gay employees, I believe it's titled "Inside The Mouse". I've seen more than a few myself. I once worked at a theme park, and had a team leader who was a nice guy, very friendly and dedicated, but he was quite "flaming", that is, he had a stuffed animal attached to his backpack, and had obvious gay mannerisms. Really good guy, though.

If this is a park designed to promote fundamentalist Christianity, replete with its bigoted side, it only makes sense to require this.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 06:42PM

Whew. I won't be the one mucking the stalls out a single window.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 07:05PM

Ok, so I'm not 100% familiar with the minutia of Noah's story, but what was the number of the people who actually built the thing? Look at the scale of that thing. This is being built to scale, but not with the same tools/equipment/engineering/manpower.

Couldn't have been done.

Posted by: goodlyexmormon ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 07:19PM

It was built by a small ordinary family of Jews.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 07:19PM

So is the owner playing the part of Noah? You know what happens to him. His daughters are going to get all Christian on him and do the freaky thing with him.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 10:22PM

If I recall correctly, Noah is also considered a patriarch in the Islamic faith.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 02:33AM

A flood myth. Imagine that.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 10:28PM

That ark's a cheat. They're building it with cranes and treated wood.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 10:37PM

I wonder if TBMs will be hired. This sucks.

We were planning to move to Kentucky. Now with the governor's stance on many things and this, we will choose another state. Thanks anyway!!

This is a link to Answers in Genesis - mentioned in the Arc link.
https://answersingenesis.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 10:46PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 04:13AM

So why would an atheist WANT to take a job where he or she would be promoting stuff he was utterly opposed to?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 07:31PM

Those cages don't look very nice. Are they planning to have animals in the ark? If so, I hope that the Human Society actively monitors the situation.

And I'll bet anything that the park jobs don't pay well at all.

Posted by: lwnn ( )
Date: April 16, 2016 09:43PM

Their site states that the ark animals are fabricated (and the ark will 'prove' that Noah & fam could tend them all).

They plan on adding a petting zoo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.