Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 08:33PM

THE WORLD'S NEWEST MAJOR RELIGION: NO RELIGION

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/04/160422-atheism-agnostic-secular-nones-rising-religion/

"The secularizing West is full of white men. The general U.S. population is 46 percent male and 66 percent white, but about 68 percent of atheists are men, and 78 percent are white. Atheist Alliance International has called the gender imbalance in its ranks 'a significant and urgent issue.”

I was not aware that there was a gender or racial imbalance in atheism/agnosticism....

"Around the world, the Pew Research Center finds that women tend to be more likely to affiliate with a religion and more likely to pray and find religion important in their lives. That changes when women have more opportunities. 'Women who are in the labor force are more like men in religiosity. Women out of the labor force tend to be more religious,” says Conrad Hackett with Pew. 'Part of that might be because they’re part of a religious group that enforces the power of women being at home."

"Atheism is also tied to education, measured by academic achievement (atheists in many places tend to have college degrees) or general knowledge of the panoply of beliefs around the world (hence theories that Internet access spurs atheism).

There’s some evidence that official state religions drive people away from faith entirely, which could help explain why the U.S. is more religious than most Western nations that technically have a state religion, even if it is rarely observed. The U.S. is also home to a number of homegrown churches—Scientology, Mormonism—that might scoop up those who are disenchanted with older faiths."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: April 22, 2016 08:39PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 23, 2016 07:54AM

so having no religion is a religion ?

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: April 23, 2016 08:44AM

is a matter of interpretation. One person may claim to identify with Nature and need to hug a tree at Noon everyday. I say whatever floats your boat or soul. ;-D

But is Freedom FROM religion a religion? Maybe it's a right to be left alone and "worship" without rules.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 23, 2016 04:45PM

Funny how Mormonism is referred to as a "homegrown" religion. Not as wholesome as the name reflects.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 23, 2016 11:52PM

You're right, thorns, thistles, briars & noxious weeds are all homegrown too.

To, um, paraphrase.....

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 12:29AM

I remember when I was TBM that I wasn't completely sure the Church was true but I lived the Gospel as if it was true. I lived with the hope that I would be on the right side either way as in "I know not but do as the Lord commands".

Now I live as a NONE and Love every minute of it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.