Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 02:55PM

So my sis has 14 year old autistic son who wants to be baptized. Been fighting with tscc about this for a while.

Well, sp is department head at u of m med school, has decided he wants release to her son's medical records.

Sis already gave him access to son's psychiatrist which I told her to pull. Her son's shrink is a bishop so she thought he would have best interests and an understanding.

She just asked what I thought. And I thought fuck no. and pull the former release. What in the hell would he be looking for?

This guy is supposedly a nice guy, but to be in his position he would have to be a bit of a narcissist.

I am just sick. I told her, you know how I feel, get the fuck out. This is one of the issues with "unpaid" clergy. someday she will be ready. Oh, and supposedly this sp called legal bout this situation. What the fuck?

Yeah, he could be disruptive. So what. So are a shit load of people. This poor kid. All he wants is to be normal and have friends. I have told her repeatedly go somewhere else.

Stupid fucking cult. She did say scientologists were much weirder...ummmmmm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 03:00PM

I can't imagine the grief we'd have been put through should I have been a TBM and insisted my daughter be baptized. She turned 40 last December. She has FASD and is ADHD and bi-polar and functions at a 4-6 year old intellectual level.

RB

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 03:24PM

There is no valid reason for the SP to have access to her son's medical records. She should deny that request. My guess is that the son will run into a sympathetic bishop sooner or later. And if by chance he doesn't, I'm sure that another Christian church would be happy to baptize him.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 04:13PM

For Pete's sake. The church baptizes every dead person whose name they come across. They generally know NOTHING about them. Some of them may have had autism too, but it doesn't seem to matter once you're dead.

The church baptized my grandmother when she had senile dementia. Everyone else had a problem with it, but the church didn't.

Shame on that stake president. Why does he need private medical records to make a decision? Why can't he use his special powers of discernment without violating your nephew's privacy? I feel sorry for your nephew.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 05:12PM

This is outrageous! Under NO circumstance should she share her son's private medical records!

Posted by: runrunrun ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 05:21PM

why does she stay?

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 07:56PM

Yeah, way out of bounds.

There are lots of Mormon doctors, and I'd be worried about them having access to people's medical information, too e.g. smoking, drinking, drugs.

I've wondered if I was targeted for "missionary work" because of something in *my* medical records.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 08:08PM

Why does a stake president want access to medical records for a church policy decision? Any doctor knows that informed consent is necessary TO PROTECT THE BEST INTERESTS of the PATIENT from abuse of those in a position of power. Obviously, this fucktoid SP doesn't care about this young man. You're absolutely right to be concerned, Jonny.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 08:55PM

This is WRONG. There is no reason for anyone in the role of sp to need anyone's med records. This is bad and a huge red flag for me. Your sister should not even consider it. The fact that she is demonstrates the implied relationship between leader/member. This is a huge abuse of power.

I hope she doesn't let him. She and her son would find more love and acceptance in a different church community.

Posted by: whatzup ( )
Date: April 24, 2016 10:16PM

Since there is no legitimate reason for such a request, that leaves only illigitimate reasons.

Freaktoid SP wants to do a little extra medical billing on the side, maybe? I'd be telling her to watch the EOBs, gov benefits, etc. I'd also be concerned WHO he might be "investigating." Her son, or her. He wants TMI for some ugly reason.

Posted by: 4today ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 03:19PM

Giving this SP the medical records could also backfire for her. For instance, the SP might look at the medical records then put an annotation on the record which would prevent baptism in the future.

There aren't any good reasons to give the SP medical records. Absolute BS.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 03:22PM

My guess is he is looking for any discussions or diagnoses relating to sexuality or masturbation. Considering the zero boundary attitude they have towards neurotypical boys about this and their general ignorance they probably think autistic means a compulsively self-stimulating half-human who will interrupt sacrament meeting with some kind of deviant behavior.

SP probably has a "prompting" that there's something dreadfully amiss with the boy because TSCC and its power structure only glance at the surface appearance and tend to confabulate all sorts of terrible secrets lurking inside completely innocent people, and this SP is trying to medically "prove' the boy is unfit to baptize.

If I were the mom I'd threaten the doctor with report of HIPAA violation and associated monetary claim, send a letter to SLC to resign, blaming the SP for it, and get my poor challenged child away from an abusive and tormenting environment.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 03:49PM

He wants a medical opinion on whether the boy has the mental capacity to understand right and wrong. I don't know what the standard is, but basically a person below a certain mental capacity can't be baptized, as a matter of church policy. Also as a matter of church doctrine, that's a free pass to at least the end zone bleachers in the Celestial Kingdom.

A doctor can't even answer a question like "what is the patient's mental capacity?" without a signed release. Any records beyond that should be out of bounds, and the release should say that in writing.

What the hell are the parents thinking? If the BP/SP thinks the child doesn't need to be baptized, call it good and tell the child he is getting special treatment from Heavenly Father. No medical records needed.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 07:40PM

Years ago this question come up in our ward about baptism at age 8 and what to do if the person perhaps does not have the mental capacity to be baptized. For some reason this really bothered me.

So I asked the bishop how do you determine if a person has the mental capacity to be baptized. He had the best answer, "You ask them".

No need for medical records. If a person has the capacity to say yes then baptism them. Even if they do not what does it matter.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 07:57PM

He is 14 and in 8th grade. He definitely understands right from wrong, and much better than the standard 8 year old.

I can't believe she gave permission for his shrink to talk to the sp in the first place. Probably only cause he is mo too. So if there is anything weird then he would have already told him.

I begged her to leave. But you gotta understand that she is also in a very stuck situation. My back is hurting too much right now to go into it, so I won't, but it sucks.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 08:04PM

There was a woman/child in a ward I lived in. She was severely retarded and wheelchair bound. She could barely speak a basic sentence.

She was baptized at 8, no problem. Her mother was the queen bee of the ward and decided that this girl should also be doing temple baptisms with the youth. By this time the girl was around 30. No problem, all accommodations were made to lift (she was about 180lbs.) her in and out of her wheel chair and get her into the font. She had no idea what was going on. Keep in mind that she also wore diapers. I though the entire thing was insanity gone wild.

I'm pretty sure nobody ever asked for her medical records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2016 08:06PM by madalice.

Posted by: LeighLeigh ( )
Date: April 25, 2016 08:18PM

Your sister should tell the SP that if Hitler was okay to dead dunk, her son should be able to be baptized without any further discussion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.