Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 11:27AM

I found it interesting that Holland made the above statement in his Tempe address.

An apostle referring to a teaching that the church announced RECENTLY (through their newsroom) is merely "heresay" and not confirmed as a doctrine or truth anymore?

It's all so confusing. Do we get our own planets or not? If it's heresay and supposedly never been taught by church leaders then why is an apostle referring to it while addressing members and speaking as an apostle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 11:32AM

Typical of cults. Some things are said to the outside world and new converts, other things are said to true believers and oldsters.

Very confusing. It's all caused by the founder's eclecticism: he took different ideas from different sources, making it up as he went along.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 11:57AM

thatsnotmyname Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An apostle referring to a teaching that the church
> announced RECENTLY (through their newsroom) is
> merely "heresay" and not confirmed as a doctrine
> or truth anymore?

I was not aware of that change. They sure seem to be made quite often now. Yesterday's doctrine and teachings are today's ???

That a Mormon priesthood holder can become a god and rule over their own planet has been a fundamental Mormon doctrine as long as I can remember and I became a member in 1949. In fact, it is (or was?) the ultimate goal of Mormonism.

Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 01:09PM

I think the article is found under the faq section of the newsroom website (I haven't been there in a while but if you can't find it comment and I'll try to dig up a link or quote). It is filled with a lot of slippery sentences. What I really think is that it is meant to convince non members this doctrine is not taught so that the church appears more mainstream. and leave just enough wiggle room in the wording for members to ignore it. (It helps that this little article is not publicized to the members). If anyone else wants to look it up and give their interpretations I would love that.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 30, 2016 04:01PM

down, he said.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 07:32AM

"Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will 'get their own planet'?"

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C14

Notice the phrasing they use: "get their own planet." Then they deny that the idea is scriptural or doctrinal in the Mormon church. And the truth is, as far as I know, Mormons don't believe they will simply "get" a planet. Mormons believe--at least it is still officially taught that "worlds" will be theirs, but they're actually going to have to CREATE the worlds themselves. From the "Gospel Fundamentals" manual:

"To live in the highest part of the celestial kingdom is called exaltation* or eternal life. To be able to live in this part of the celestial kingdom, people must have been married in the temple and must have kept the sacred promises they made in the temple. They will receive everything our Father in Heaven has and will become like Him. They will even be able to have spirit children and make new worlds for them to live on, and do all the things our Father in Heaven has done. People who are not married in the temple may live in other parts of the celestial kingdom, but they will not be exalted."

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-fundamentals/chapter-36-eternal-life?lang=eng

Ironically, the Mormon church is officially denying on their media site what most non-Mormons would probably consider the less heretical and outlandish idea of the two--receiving a planet as an eternal reward--while continuing to teach in their official curriculum that righteous Mormons will create "spirit children" in the afterlife and "new worlds for them to live on ...."

A classic case of misdirection, as you often experience when looking into the claims of the Mormon church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 07:34AM by lurking in.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:00AM

so everyone else will have to live in the celestial slums ?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 09:45AM

Yup, that's what I learned in the Hogwarts Academy of Priesthood Arts and Sciences.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:37AM

Quoting the referenced source:

"Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will “get their own planet”?

No. This idea is not taught in Latter-day Saint scripture, nor is it a doctrine of the Church. This misunderstanding stems from speculative comments unreflective of scriptural doctrine. Mormons believe that we are all sons and daughters of God and that all of us have the potential to grow during and after this life to become like our Heavenly Father (see Romans 8:16-17). The Church does not and has never purported to fully understand the specifics of Christ’s statement that “in my Father’s house are many mansions” (John 14:2)."

What a complete misrepresentation of the facts. The church has clearly held and taught for over 180 years that:

Worthy members may someday become gods and goddesses of their own planets.

Members can become gods themselves and not just "become like our Heavenly Father".

The "many mansions" Christ spoke about are the various levels (and differing rewards) of the Three Degrees of Glory.

I was first baptized in 1949 and have heard these teachings repeated on numerous occasions by both leaders and members alike. I have never heard anything contrary until now. The fact that these teachings are now embarrassing to admit does not wish them away by the issuance of misleading and deceptive statements. It is becoming more difficult with each passing day for me to recognize today's Mormon church since it is becoming so different from the one of my youth.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 01:13PM

I believe someone here on RfM put it simply a while back: "Holland is doubling down on stupid."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.