Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:22PM

The most personal thing I have learned on this board is that, while, we are all different, we are all equally important. We share some of the same challenges and yet each one of us is different and unique. This has been so refreshing to me after being so turned off and offended by the church.

I read posts each day (without posting most of the time) and it makes me think about my own personal situation. But, I respect and appreciate each one of you. Thanks for teaching me. It is appreciated!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:54AM

I've learned a lot here, also. 2015 would have been a very lonely year without RfM-ers.

Something that has been particularly enjoyable is to see the brilliance and clear thinking on the part of many of the contributors.

I love this place.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 03:05AM

That was a very gracious post, Sam, and I think you're right.

It's strange but true that I used to learn more when I didn't post at all. I picked up so much in those first few months.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 07:20AM

Your thought is important because, in Mormonism, we are all required to be more or less the same. Mormons are all expected to be pounded into the same round hole, no matter their shape or size, a practice that represents stupidity and myopia on the part of leadership at all levels.

I also agree with Kathleen; even if I'm well beyond Mormonism, I could use friends, and find them here on this site. For me and a couple of co-workers, this site is also a place to come when there are lags in the work flow or when we just need a few minutes' rest. It's a place to relieve ourselves, and I don't mean copping a pee in the corner or something. (I AM listening to what I am saying. I guess I could have said, "A place to find relief.")

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 07:47AM

Excellent point--it rings true for me, too. One of the hardest parts of walking away from anything--a church, a job, a relationship gone sour--is the feeling of being alone in the universe. It's so easy to feel at that point that we're making a mistake; if it's right to walk away, why am I walking alone and everyone else is staying behind?

Well, here we aren't alone. For me such reinforcement is huge. And as you pointed out we can be unique and still be among friends, a status that threatens everything the church stands for, which is why they try to replace our individuality with their groupthink.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 10:37AM

I'm with you! I have learned a lot about Mormonism I didn't know and have a lot of respect for the ex Mormons who I thought were evil doers at one point.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 10:52AM

Its always interesting how you dont have to spin the truth...it just is...i feel all kinds of sorry for that poor bugger trying to make all the versions of the first vision sound plausible...about like a defense lawyer defending a guilty party whose pled not guilty...state they arent guilty...obfuscate...blow sunshine...deflect...blame it on the nanny...when its all said and done all you need to do is confuse or convince twelve people not smart enough to get out of jury duty...if you do your job...some guilty peckerhead will skate and therell be fist pumps and hugs all around...OJ comes to mind...the great thing about rfm...you dont have to make stuff up...no offense intended to jurists...its a shitty job someone has to do...most of the time they get it right...a church run by lawyers is going to be good at shittery

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 11:07AM

I have often thought about how much I love the diversity of personalities here, everyone has something to contribute. Some of you make me laugh, some shock me, some make me mad, some give the best free advice. I love it!

Posted by: hahahaha ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 12:47PM

true. After I joined the Mormon church, I cannot believe there is no personality in the church. I am so confused since I am a very outgoing and friendly person. But inside church, I have to be very careful. I don't understand what is wrong with those people.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 04:44PM

hahahaha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> true. After I joined the Mormon church, I cannot
> believe there is no personality in the church. I
> am so confused since I am a very outgoing and
> friendly person. But inside church, I have to be
> very careful. I don't understand what is wrong
> with those people.

Since you are a recent convert I'd be interested to see how you see things in the LDS church. What are some examples?

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 11:47PM

Personality, individuality, creativity, dare to be different, dare to speak your mind, open to different ideas and different lifestyles, love everyone, and appreciate diversity.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 01:12AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.