Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 04:31PM

speaker Elder Clayton:

quote from Elder Clayton's BYU commencement address:

"The faithless often promote themselves as the wise who can rescue the rest of us from our naiveté. One does not need to listen to assertive apostates for long to see the parallels between them and the Corihors and Nehors and Sharoms of The Book of Mormon.

We should disconnect immediately and completely from listening to the proselytizing efforts of those who have lost their faith, and instead reconnect promptly with the holy spirit.

The adversary sees spiritual apathy and half-hearted obedience as opportunities to encircle us with his chains and bind us, and he hopes to destroy us. We escape his chains as we voluntarily chose to bind ourselves instead to God."

(White space added for emphasis).

This quote about disconnecting immediately and completely from listening to the proselytizing efforts of those who have lost the faith, is, in my view, a very new tactic.

Because of this blatant statement, I wonder if the temple recommend question #7 will be enforced in such a way to keep people with apostates in their family, out of the temple.

Question $7 Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

In the past there has been a lot of confusion about what that question referred to. At one time, it was a direct reference to those that still practiced polygamy. Now days, because of the huge number of those leaving the LDS Church and are now classified as apostates, will there by a push to disconnect from apostate family members, even further?

Will they refuse to take our phone calls, invite us to family events, refuse to allow their children to play with their cousins, come to our weddings, birthdays, etc., etc.?

Is the LDS Church so insecure in their claims and the testimony so fragile they must tell the members to stay away from anyone that is not 100% with them? Are we the enemy now, even more so if we have left the LDS Church? Are we now the minions of Satan and they want to scare the members even more?

Sure getting weird! Good friends, family members, loved ones, long time acquaintances, long history of friendship, all going down the drain because some of us dare to use the 11th Article of Faith and change our mind.

Article of Faith #11 "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."
Addendum: Stay away from anyone who is not a true believer of the claims of the LDS Church.

I expect to see more and more former Mormons to be the recipient of this "disconnect" from here on out. It's happening more and more!

Addendum: Is there an exception? They only have to disconnect when someone talks about the reasons they left? They can still be friends if Mormonism doesn't come up and is supported???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 04:33PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 04:41PM

I've been testing the familial communication channels on FB and all I get is ire. As does anyone else who chimes in on the conversation that is not supportive of the Mormon views.

Christ-like...

NOT

Whited walls?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 04:42PM

That was said at a graduation!??? How very not very graduation like for a talk!

Date: May 03, 2016 04:46PM

The true believing members will not be able to separate or differentiate "proselytizing" from just ordinary conversation about the weather, for instance.
They will continue to see those that left the faith as the agents of Satan always on the alert to snare them and drag them away kicking and screaming from their promised Eternal Kingdom!
They will take the words as a commandment to disconnect to mean they no longer are expected to retain relatives and friends,who have left the faith (and become the dreaded apostate), in any way shape or form.
It's just one more reason to band together more tightly trying to escape the real world and reality.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 04:55PM

This is very cult-like behavior. A bold step to distance members from thinking or being exposed to thinking that is different or may cause them to question beliefs. Very Jim Jones in my opinion.

Date: May 03, 2016 05:01PM

Notice the difference from a few years ago .... This from the current president and prophet at the time.

"As I have said before, we must not be clannish. We must never adopt a holier-than-thou attitude. We must not be self-righteous. We must be magnanimous, and open, and friendly. We can keep our faith. We can practice our religion. We can cherish our method or worship without being offensive to others. I take this occasion to plead for a spirit of tolerance and neighborliness, of friendship and love toward those of other faiths."
- President Gordon B. Hinckley, July 2001

And again in the last General Conference...

"We cannot be arrogant. We cannot be self-righteous. The very situation in which the Lord has placed us requires that we be humble as the beneficiaries of His direction. While we cannot agree with others on certain matters, we must never be disagreeable. We must always be friendly, soft-spoken, neighborly, and understanding."
- President Gordon B. Hinckley, Fall 2003 General Conference, Sunday Morning Session

I suppose one could get very specific and say that the disconnect must happen if and whey they "proselytize" about their non-belief. Hmmm... makes one wonder...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 05:01PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: May 03, 2016 05:05PM

For that didn't know, and I didn't, this commencement address at BYU was given by Elder L Whitney Clayton.

This is the guy...

https://www.lds.org/church/leader/l-whitney-clayton?lang=eng

Elder L. Whitney Clayton Share
Senior President of the Presidency of the Seventy
Elder L. Whitney Clayton was sustained as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on March 31, 2001. He has served as a member of the Presidency of the Seventy since 2008 and was named Senior President of the Quorums of the Seventy on October 6, 2015. He assists Elder Dallin H. Oaks in supervising the Mexico Area and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland in supervising the Middle East/Africa North Area.

I wonder if his words are going to be taken as the prophet himself speaking ..... sure looks like it...

Of course, I would never consider him speaking for the prophet. These comments are just his opinion, speaking as a man! Works for me!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.