Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 01:40AM

I won't offer any description here since this kind of gets into "politics" and I'm just posting this for the general interest I have in the obits.

Read the last sentence of what his family wrote.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?pid=179839196

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 12:53PM by memikeyounot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 01:49AM

Holeee crap! Really? He's dead and they're going to go down the road of politics???

The other thing that bothered me greatly was the mention that he ONLY had two children. The best thing said about them was that they were good looking. REALLY!? That's it?

Was this obit some weird attempt at mormon humor that I don't get? If so, it seemed a bit sick and weird. Oh yeah.....nevermind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 01:50AM by madalice.

Date: May 03, 2016 02:12AM

When I lived in Las Vegas, probably at least 10 years ago, there was an obituary which made the national news before I even saw it. A TBM woman in Las Vegas passed and her family said that she was adamant about including some really critical thing of Harry Reid.

Apparently the family had known him for years, and her late husband had worked on his campaigns. They thought he had made some really bad decisions etc--I tried to find it online tonight but can't. Her family took some nasty comments about it.

Date: May 04, 2016 01:44AM

I did some Facebook searching and found his son's page. He appears to be in his early 30's, married with kids and while he looks like a typical TBM, he's not ALL that good looking. :)

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 01:58AM

As if anyone is going to think of him, and this odd request, when the general election rolls around in November?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 01:59AM by cinda.

Date: May 03, 2016 02:12AM

cinda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As if anyone is going to think of him, and this
> odd request, when the general election rolls
> around in November?!

I think it's someone's idea of humor. Huh.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 10:54AM

Or like there's anyone who liked him well enough to send flowers and wants to know what he REALLY wanted, who would have voted the other way.

Date: May 03, 2016 02:18AM

I, too, have great interest in the obits and read them daily. One thing that always strikes me is the large number of grandchildren some of them mention. It is not uncommon to read, for example,

''40 grandchildren, and 6 great grandchildren, with 2 on the way". It is not uncommon to see the number of grandchildren in the 70's. Sometimes this is preceded with, "Her posterity includes...." and may be followed with "each of whom she loved dearly". I always think, in many cases, I'll bet she didn't even recognize them all, nor would she or he be able to recite all of their names/ages :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 04:01PM by Susan I/S.

Date: May 03, 2016 02:26AM

Date: May 03, 2016 02:27AM

Oops! I really screwed that up somehow!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 02:29AM

That last line was a hoot! Don't usually see that kind of statement in an obit. Certainly interesting! I got a good chuckle out of it!

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 02:36AM

That is THE most crass sentence I've ever read in an obit. And then to read on with the go fund me....what the HECK.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 02:38AM

A go fund me request in the obit, to cover funeral costs of someonene that has probably given away 10% of his income, for his entire working life!

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 07:20PM

Setting up a go-fund-me page for donations to pay for a funeral is the most tacky thing I have ever seen. It would be one thing if it was a homeless or poor person, but about this person"

"He loved his animals and made sure that he had enough ponies for all of his grandchildren, and then some. He even offered one to the NICU nurse last week while he was visiting his new grandson. Duane was very interested in all his livestock and even had rodeo bucking bulls."

Anyone who has the land to have 3+ ponies (his number of grandchildren) and bulls does not need the family to ask for donations to pay for his funeral. Cheap, cheap, cheap mormons always looking at how they can make money, even in death.

http://www.jenkins-soffe.com/obituary/Duane-Dewy-Breinholt/Bluffdale-UT/1612921

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 08:25PM

"Setting up a go-fund-me page for donations to pay for a funeral is the most tacky thing I have ever seen."

Yep. A few months ago, one of my cousins in Arizona died. He was in his mid-60s. A family facebook post went around asking for funeral donations. A couple of Mormon relatives scolded others for not donating.

I didn't donate---not because I'm cheap, but because 1) I met this cousin exactly once in my life, in 1967 2) he was a Mormon, and had relatives and friends that should have taken care of it, and 3) I maintain life insurance and other funds to cover my funeral expenses, and I wouldn't expect anyone else, including my wife or children, to have to pay for it out of their pockets.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 09:10PM

made all the arrangements and PAID for everything in advance. All the kids got a copy of the paperwork. Everyone knew exactly what to expect and what THEY wanted. It was a wonderful last gift to leave. We plan to do the same.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:21AM

A "Go Fund Me" request for a funeral doesn't bother me. Although with three ponies, I'm thinking this family can afford a funeral just fine.

In the African-American community in which I teach, it is customary to solicit donations when someone's close relative dies. I found this custom puzzling at first since the small donations collected can't go very far. But the custom has persisted so it must serve a purpose.

Ideally, of course, one would have life insurance or savings to cover such an eventuality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 11:22AM by summer.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 07:24PM

Aww, that's funny! :o) Funeral at "high noon." Come locked and loaded!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 07:36PM

Dummies

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 08:59PM

Sounds like the only thing old Dewy ever did was donate 10% of his income to a fraud and brainwash two kids (speculating). Dewy has been dead for a long time. He certainly never lived.

Date: May 03, 2016 09:58PM

I agree with the comments re: the Go Fund Me request but, tacky as it is, it is not uncommon to see that in obituaries in the Salt Lake newspaper.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 02:24AM

I liked where it said, "while he only had two children..." They made it sound like an apology. We're sorry he denied several spirit babies a life in crowded house with beds in the garage. Two lousy kids. Odds are one won't work and the other won't conform. Thanks a lot, dead guy.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:16AM

People should send his flowers to Hilary.

That way, he doesn't get the flowers his family doesn't want him to have, and flowers aren't a vote for Hilary.

Win win!!!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:50AM

That last line made me snort my coffee out my nose.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.