Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 06:36PM

I am out of the church. I still get (attempted) visits by members and missionaries. I called the Bishop up and said I DO NOT WANT ANY VISITS--PERIOD. It lasted a few months but I have had missionaries come by 3 times in the past 3 weeks. G&$ Da%^&it, stay f$%&in away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 06:58PM

"I don't want visits from church representatives. Leave now and don't come back. Goodbye." Firmly close the door.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:12PM

That, or start educating them on the church history that they were never taught.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 09:58PM

They. Won't. Come. Back.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:07PM

The new missionaries can make like they didn't know your wishes. A small sign on your front door might help:

"No Soliciting - this includes missionaries."

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:55PM

Sam, you are the same Sam from this post aren't you? http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1812489

In that post you state that you have had leadership positions within the past 25 years:

Bishop
High Council
Elder's Quorum President
Young Men's President
Scoutmaster, etc.

Why do YOU think they are working so hard to get you back as a previous customer? Someone who had been in leadership?

What kind of stories, faith promoting stories, would be told IF they got you back? Stories by the Bishop, or Stake President, a GA's talk in general conference, or an Ensign article?

What kind of faith prompting drivel could result by the Mission President if the missionaries were successful in getting you to return to the fold? Would you become a big success story that proves that "Hastening the Work of Salvation" missionary program was truly inspired?

Wouldn't the missionaries want a success story to write home about? Something to brag about to other missionaries? Something to say in decades to come was the reason why God sent them to that mission - to rescue you, a former Bishop?

And the list goes on ...

The missionaries aren't trained by the MP to take NO for an answer. To them, they're on a divine mission. Little do they know the mission is all about converting them to LDSinc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2016 08:00PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:57PM

Yup. I finally figured out that if they had my records they could see that I did everything there was to do in Primary from nursery to Primary Pres, as well as YW Presidency. They are trying so hard to get me to return because they need me to fill a spot in the local ward.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 07:40AM

Well stated. I understand.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 08:41PM

I like having the missionaries over. I figure they can offer me their opinion, and I'll offer mine. We are all selling something.

Unfortunately, they don't come often. Apparently they don't like what they hear.

The easiest and most effective way to keep church members away is to threaten their faith.

As Summer mentioned, I have shared unsavory issues with missionaries and they disappear for years. I assume I am marked as dangerous on the membership list.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 11:03AM

For a while I actually kept a "No Solicitation - Mormons included" sign on my door. That didn't stop them, because then they pulled the "But we aren't Mormons, we're Latter-day Saints, lolololol!!!" Card. I tailored my sign accordingly, and they still ignored it. Finally I just tore up my sign and decided to start torching them when they come to the door or call. They don't come by much anymore.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 11:41AM

1. Plant seeds and try to pry them from their brainwashed state. Treat them like like needy young souls and offer them the niceties they miss like food, a warm home, kindness, and reading material.

2. The second option is to let them know they're wasting their time intruding on you time and privacy and they should not return.

I think it's passive aggressive to pretend to plant seeds and educate when the covert goal is to keep them away from your home. To me it isn't honest to say you're there to help them if all you want to do is see that they go away and never return.

Of course some exmos might have a mixture of the two goals. They hope to educate but have limited patience for giving up their time and privacy to uninvited strangers who show up at odd inconvenient hours.

As for me, I don't want to educate missionaries about their church doctrine. I value my privacy too much for that and I think it's as important for young people to learn respect as it is to learn about church history or church issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 02:12PM by Cheryl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.