Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 06:30AM

I had a neat Sunday experience, meeting a young woman at the Unitarian church who had just quit Mormonism. It was refreshing to be introduced to her. She is a young mother, her husband still active in the church. This is my first experience meeting someone by chance like this. I had hoped that maybe her husband might even be in DW's ward, but he's in one of the neighboring ward. She helped explain to one of the other UU members engaged in our conversation how the church is responsible for splitting up families, the exact opposite of what they say they stand for. I hope she comes back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 10:00AM

I never ever thought I'd see this happen. And I can't believe WHO is leaving, people I never thought would.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 10:28AM

I'm so happy for her that you were there and could validate her feelings. It's funny how that will happen at UU churches.

It is so funny when a former mormon comes to our church. Everyone is like, "have you met NormaRae"? The last time that happened, she was like, "So you're the infamous NormaRae?" And we were instant friends.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 10:54AM

I have you to thank for tipping me off to Unitarians. I had to think about it for a couple of years, though, if you'll recall. It's a place where a lot of mature, well-educated, and liberal minds meet for great sermons and discussion. And let me tell you, here we have the greatest music I've ever seen in a church, thanks to having jazz pianist Jon Baptiste (not his real name) as our very own music director (every Sunday a mini-concert). I'm also now beginning to be involved in the Sierra Club, to which seemingly half the membership belong, and have signed up with various activities to feed the poor, etc. It's all the good stuff that the LDS church should be, but is not.

Now--tell me about the drumming circle.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 04:55PM

In Utah the UU's consider Mormonism their "farm team."

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 05:20PM

Haha. I started out at the UU church in Utah Valley when we formed a fellowship from one of the Salt Lake Churches. We were about 90% exmormons and about 10% nevermos who had moved in to teach at UVU.

Since the minister from SLC would come down a couple times a month, we'd hold services at 4:00 in the afternoon. One guy brought his young daughter with him every time. His wife was still TBM and the deal was that wife would take the daughter to the LDS church in the morning and he could bring her to the UU church in the afternoon.

One time the cute little girl said, "We go to the twoo church in the morning and the fun church in the afternoon." I laughed so hard. I knew it was the wife who had the fight on her hands. Fun beats out twoo any day of the week.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.