Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bentaylor23 ( )
Date: May 12, 2016 11:15PM

Me and my wife love to play basketball. I play at the church every week. The women are allowed to play at the church 3 times a year and of course it must be supervised by someone with the priesthood. I'm not making this up. My TBW and other members have voiced concerns about it but of course nothing has changed. Oh and they can only play half court. Dear LDS church, the 1800s are long gone. How much more sexist and racist can you get.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 11:15PM by Bentaylor23.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 12, 2016 11:21PM

Women allow only three times a year wth male supervision, WTF! This sounds like Boyd K. Packard's teachings about sex!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 11:21PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 12, 2016 11:31PM

Time to find a new court.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 12, 2016 11:31PM

Plus they can only dribble twice and then they have to pass the ball, right?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 12, 2016 11:33PM

Why don't good LDS girls have sex with BB players? Because they dribble before they shoot!

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 03:33PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 12, 2016 11:52PM

Women having full access to church basketball courts is the sort of issue that keeps the Q15 up at night.

Posted by: Oliver Cowardly ( )
Date: May 12, 2016 11:57PM

Sounds like an opening.

Does she think this restriction is a revelation from god? an inspired policy? or maybe, just maybe, nothing more than a few men trying to control women?

How does she feel about being treated by "the worthy priesthood" as a child needing supervision, or as a second-class individual? How "worthy" can they be if their apparent priority is keeping her and the other women under heel?

Is this church-wide, stake, or ward policy? Does it seem right to her that the bishop, who seems to have no problem implementing this nauseating edict, is also the person she's running to for marriage counseling and advice on how to control you? Slip in somewhere that maybe the bishop doesn't have her best interest at heart after all…

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 12:02AM

Letting them play those three times a year is a fearful thing! Imagine the damage they could do to their wombs, their only reason for existence!!!

Date: May 13, 2016 12:17AM

When the bishop and SP have been confronted they act like they know nothing about it and put the blame elsewhere. But do they do anything to correct it? Of course not. When I said something to my wife about it being incredibly sexist she just shrugs and accepts it like a good member of the cult should.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 06:01AM

Basketball is for men. Ladies should wear dresses,look after children and prepare refreshments for the hungry men to eat after their games. If they do this, the women will be actively engaged in a good cause and will have more chance of going to the Celestial Kingdom. Men need sport to bond with their brethren and de-stress because they are providers. The Spirit tells worthy sisters that basketball is an unseemly activity for ladies to take part in, and that they should glory in their wondrous femininity instead of emulating men.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 06:57AM

And they said you had "lost the spirit." But look at you now.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 06:02AM

Priesthood be watching out for your lady parts.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 10:04AM

No coed basketball either. What if a woman was better at basketball? Does BYU have a women's basketball team?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 10:26AM

If BYU accepts federal funding, they damn well better have a women's basketball team. That's a little thing called Title IX.

I wonder if the court at the church is the only place to play basketball in your entire town. Why not just join a city league? Or gather up some friends and go play in a park?

I have so much trouble wrapping my brain around blind obedience. "Oh, some random church says I am only allowed to play half-court b-ball three times a year, so I'm going to sit here on the sidelines, wishing I could do this one thing I like to do." Pardon my French, but fuck that. If your wife wants to play basketball, there is NOTHING stopping her from grabbing some friends and playing pickup games at a local park. You could come up with co-ed teams or do whatever the fuck you want.

Date: May 13, 2016 10:38AM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If BYU accepts federal funding, they damn well
> better have a women's basketball team. That's a
> little thing called Title IX.
>
> I wonder if the court at the church is the only
> place to play basketball in your entire town. Why
> not just join a city league? Or gather up some
> friends and go play in a park?
>
> I have so much trouble wrapping my brain around
> blind obedience. "Oh, some random church says I am
> only allowed to play half-court b-ball three times
> a year, so I'm going to sit here on the sidelines,
> wishing I could do this one thing I like to do."
> Pardon my French, but fuck that. If your wife
> wants to play basketball, there is NOTHING
> stopping her from grabbing some friends and
> playing pickup games at a local park. You could
> come up with co-ed teams or do whatever the fuck
> you want.

She does play at another local gym but our church gym is much nicer and most of her friends don't have memberships to the gym so the church is a better option. Glad to see my tithing money at work.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 03:27PM

Title IX. . .

That's the rule that's also supposed to help women who've been sexually assaulted, right?

These things work so well at BYU.

Posted by: byuatheist nli ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 03:28PM

themaster Wrote:
> No coed basketball either. What if a woman was
> better at basketball? Does BYU have a women's
> basketball team?

They do.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 15, 2016 01:31PM

BYU has a pretty good woman's basketball team, they lost in the championship game by 2 points in the West Coast Conference. They were picked to go to the NCAA tournament but lost in the opening round to #10 Missouri.

Their outstanding player was Lexi Rydalch, she's been drafted by the Seattle Storm of the WNBA.

Check out Lexi's honors in her basketball career, she's great.

http://byucougars.com/athlete/w-basketball/lexi-eaton-rydalch

At a high school fund raiser, I got four tickets to a Seattle Storm game, I sure hope to take our two youngest granddaughters to watch Lexi and Breanna Stewart U Conn's all American play. It'll be exciting.

Posted by: buriedego ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 10:31AM

3 times a year... Seems generous... Just kidding <3

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 11:06AM

Let's see the men stand up FULL COURT FOR WOMEN or a rotation basis. Men aren't doing anything - so women can't!? Men should have a SIT-OUT until things change. If the men don't do it who can/ will?

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 02:46PM

These may be more stupid, nevermo questions, but:

Why do they have to be supervised?

Do they have to wear "modest" gear when they're playing?

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 03:10PM

It's simple, I would counsel your TBM wife as a priesthood holder in your home to instruct the misogynistic bishop/stake president concerning her new policy which is effective immediately! There will be no more tithing payments forwarded to the alleged one true church on earth until there is equal treatment/respect shown to women at church - basketball included - no exceptions! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 03:18PM

Woah! That's like...er...Saudi Arabia weird.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 03:43PM

It's why TSCC is so in sync with the Arab world. DD who went to BYU-I said we can say anything negative about Islam because JS had a high regard for Mohammed.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 03:32PM

A while back, a woman 'working' in a chapel at/near Bellevue, WA, was raped or assaulted in the building, things have been wacky ever since then.

Date: May 13, 2016 03:38PM

Bentaylor23 Wrote:
> .....it must be supervised by someone with the priesthood.
> I'm not making this up.

So, is that the same here?
http://www.uhsaa.org/gbasketball

I can't see anything requiring priesthood supervision.

Date: May 13, 2016 08:47PM

Agnes Broomhead Wrote:
> Bentaylor23 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > .....it must be supervised by someone with the
> priesthood.
> > I'm not making this up.
>
> So, is that the same here?
> http://www.uhsaa.org/gbasketball
>
> I can't see anything requiring priesthood
> supervision.

Not sure how this relates. I might be missing something.

Date: May 13, 2016 09:41PM

I was kinda joking.
There was a time when most states banned girls basketball, but I've never heard the part where it must be supervised by men. That's crazy!

I'm guessing that like most states, Utah didn't have basketball for girls until the 1970s, and by then adopted five-player rules, am I right? Most states banned girls basketball in the 1920s, but Iowa kept it, as a six-player half-court game. But this "priesthood" supervision part, jeez. I assume Mormons in Utah play high school sports, including girls. Do they have to put up with this nonsense? I mean, it's crazy to see "seminaries" literally next door to high schools, that's something that makes Utah a strange place.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 08:54PM

That's one of the most messed up things I've read on this board in 19 years.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 09:41PM

How downright....STUPID!

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 03:45AM

Would playing one-on-one make them lesbians?

I'm with DebbiePA. Too weird.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 07:58AM

I was forced to do that shit girls' basketball when I was in high school in the south and hated it. Just despised it. The condescension and authoritarianism of those cockamamie rules were not lost on my adolescent self.

I thought it had been banned for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-on-six_basketball

Leave it to the LDS to honor such a venerable tradition. Ptuie!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 08:35AM

We had both boys and girls basketball in high school (Title IX, yay!) The girls team was MUCH better than the boys team, and had the record to prove it. They were fun to watch. But guess which team got to practice and play in the relatively small gymnasium with limited seating, and which got to play in the much larger field house that had bleacher seats?

Posted by: hikergrl ( )
Date: May 15, 2016 10:42AM

Right....cuz dem women's place is to stand around and cheer for the men.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.