Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: overit ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 06:04PM

Following in from the previous post re MoTab
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1820975

I can't even begin to think about the sound they make as I am perpetually diverted by the hideous outfits worn by the female choir members. Basically, they chuck them in a sheet with a set of pearl and ludicrously bouffant hairstyles. They sing with no joy or passion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 06:32PM

Never liked them. As a nevermo I could never understand a word they were singing. It was just noise. The sound and pace of the organ makes it seem as though they must sing nothing but funeral music.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 24, 2016 06:47PM

Back in about 1985, the Mo Tab came to the Seattle Arena

Tickets weren't cheap, plus a 45 minute drive to get there, and pay to park.

They came out and sang for 35 minutes, then left.

Literally everyone leaving the event was miffed at paying what they did and getting a 35 minute show.

I always thought they were too big, too muddy sounding.

The only song I like that they do is "A Mighty Fortress" by Martin Luther.....I think that song could be redone as as heavy metal song.....slow and heavy.

Posted by: templenameleah ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 02:12AM

I hate the formulaic nature of their delivery...sweet lady voices, sincere gentleman voices, then altogether for a rousing finish. Blergh.

Also, they 'vibrant' sacks they dress the women in are revolting, but very humorous!

Posted by: breeze ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 02:21AM

"Muddy" is the word. To many voices with too much vibrato. They sing slowly and sluggishly, like they are mired down in mud. Their singing isn't expressive or colorful, but dull and gray, like mud.

I'd rather hear the organ by itself. Another plus, is that the organ has no lyrics.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 11:04AM

Exactly! I'd rather listen to just about any other choir. Unless it's a song with a soloist, it's difficult to understand anything they're singing. They'd be much better if the cut 75% of their members. There are a few former MoTab members in the ward here. One of them is a very talented singer. A couple of them are awful...they're talented pianists, but their voices suck. They've performed in SM a couple times and they couldn't have been worse. The primary kids sing better than them.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 09:42AM

They opened a lot of doors for us during my stateside mission in the early sixties. At that time they had a huge hit, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". At one point it was actually number one on the music charts.

Most people we talked to only knew two things about the church - polygamy and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 09:54AM

I would like to see them do more of the classics. There are so many wonderful reverent English songs by Thomas Tallis, Holtz, Ray Vaughn Williams, that would knock the socks off anyone in attendance. And I'm sure there are other great composers from other parts of the continent and world that I'm not so much aware of.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 01:54PM

You can't sing songs by songs by Thomas Tallis, Holtz, Ray Vaughn Williams because they are not on the "approved list" whatever and wherever that is.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 10:15AM

Tabernacle?????

I never liked them when I was in the church.
But after I left I kinda think they're "good". Good enough
I don't feel sick listening now.

In fact I went to the tabernacle for a radio recording with my TBM sister and enjoyed our time together.

But then again I'm getting older and hearing isn't as good.
Ha

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 11:10AM

I like a variety of music and wouldn't choose them often.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 12:29PM

Size does not equal quality. I can't stand the mo tab choir. It's just not possible for that many people to blend well. Even if they were all fantastic singers--which, as others have noted, they are not--all the subtle differences in vocal articulation add up to that awful muddy sound, and the subtle differences in pitch don't help.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 05:33PM

I've noticed during conference that the MTC choir that sometimes performs in the Priesthood session is usually pretty high quality. I think it sounds better than the MoTab often. Maybe it's because the choir rotates much more frequently and they go for a more static, unchanging sound, I dunno much a whole lot about music. I like the MoTab fine but when I've been to other churches- a baptist church specifically- I remember how rich and vibrant the singing was, and how much more passionate the singers seemed to be about the music they were singing. It's probably the most recent experience I've had that I would classify as remotely spiritual. It's that church on 900 w. or something, the paster is France Davis, he's written a couple books and he preaches at more than one church. I'm sure some people here have heard of him. I think the church is the Calvary Baptist Church. Anyone else here been to that church and have any impressions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 08:02PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 07:02PM

had 'Tabernacle Choirs'...

that is until SLC/COB stepped in to OUTLAW them... so the SLC one wouldn't be bothered!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 25, 2016 07:22PM

I think they sound like a 1950s glee club, but what do I know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.