Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:20AM

My TBM son-in-law shared this onto my feed... The author is a chiropractic physician (says so on his business website!), married nine years, with five kids and he bragged that for eight of them, his wife has been pregnant and/or nursing.

"I was questioned by a long time friend who was considering leaving the church, 'I have friends who after bailing out of the church are quite. How is that? Now I'm thinking of resigning.'

There's many good answers to this but I will focus on 2."

(I'm only giving one; the other is so utterly mealy-mouthed as to be worthless, having to do with sacrificing when you're happy so that ghawd will make you happy when you're not happy...)

Resigning or just becoming inactive may have no immediate impact, but it definitely will impact our children, their children, for generations to come. The outcome can be detrimental and devastating; if we could see the impact our decision of leaving the church or not living the gospel would have on our posterity, we would run back to change any deviated path necessary that led us away."

This guy has definitely got to get over himself! One of the biggest blessing of getting out of the church is the freedom, vitality and opportunities it gives our children and the following generations!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:31AM

The biggest blessing is not playing pretend. Freedom, well it's more of a curse, I mean second best...anyhow back to godspell?

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:35AM

>Resigning or just becoming inactive may have no immediate >impact,but it definitely will impact our children, their >children, for generations to come.

I absolutely agree with this. I wish I had left when my kids were little before they grew up and swallowed the kool-aid.

If only I knew then what I know now, or if I'd just followed by gut then I wouldn't have to worry about my kids raising little mormons. I love my grandkids but I don't want them to grow up believing this crap or possibly being hurt by it.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:10PM

Exactly! I was out by the time I married and we had our son, and I never took our son to an LDS church. My son is a thinking guy. He used to read a lot of philosophy, but not so much now. But he really thinks independently and is very liberal like me, except much smarter. He's very happy, newly married, and I'm so glad he's had that freedom to think and be his own person.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 05:04PM

+1
Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 12:06PM

The so called church exists only because gullible people who fear making their own choices listen to 'them.' Everyone who follows this or any religion are afraid. They need an anthropomorphic god to justify their existence. Muslims worship the same god mormons do. Both of them believe in blood atonement. Both are just equally evil. I believe more in the concept of christus victorous than penal substitution.

my real name is not incognitotoday. it's geezus. so said my friend aaron who wondered what my middle initial 'g' meant...i am geezus. let me tell you what to think, do, say, eat, wear, watch, drink,...........have a good day and watch for cars.

Thank you Jowls and Pickles for f-cking up my marriage. Isn't religion grand? She divorced me Tuesday thanks to you. Can I still pay my 10%?

..geezus

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 01:26PM

Sorry geezus. That stinks.

I have no children so I guess there is no reason for me to feel guilty about leaving. All consequences will fall on my head alone. I better not tell your son-in-law that I did, however, help my mother to see the light. All the other family members got out on their own steam. They didn't need me to tell them.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:06PM

Yep, we are devils in disguise when we dare leave and take the next generations with us.

Oh, bother.

Then, of course, the discourse goes on to say:

"......we would run back to change any deviated path necessary that led us away." OF COURSE, it has to be a DEVIATED path that led us astray. Could not be good sound reasoning, truth, facts, evidence....you know, all of that great stuff. I think I have heard this broken record too many times.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:09PM

If only. Honestly, I think those who do deviate from the path have a much higher tendency to return to the church because they haven't reasoned out why it's wrong.

It takes more than sinning to leave the church, it takes thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 02:21PM by minnieme.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:14PM

Religion in general is very often intrusive. Mormonism is one of the most intrusive religions in the world. It takes over your whole World View to such an extent there is nothing about you anymore that is not controlled by the religion: thoughts, dress, activities, reading, movies, time, etc. all by the God of 24/7 regulation underwear!

Eventually, freedom raises it's head and it cannot be ignored.
Little by little we extricate ourselves from the controlling, intrusive thoughts and behavior and release our authentic selves.
If a temple married, or born into the religion, active member, or dedicated convert,it takes time to change our thinking, take control of our Self Talk and learn to be assured we are OK just the way we are with no need to be fixed by the teachings of the religion. Some decided there is no need in their life for a savior or a deity either.

It's great, wonderful, fantastic, a breath of fresh air "from the other side when we leave." We are driving the bus, navigating the ship, all by ourselves using our innate humanity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 02:15PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:14PM

Yep, here are just a few of the generational impacts from me leaving TSCC:

-- More money because we don't pay tithing and all the other "donations" TSCC expects. That translates into family vacations, college funds, paying off debts, retirement...

-- Critical thinking skills instead of cult indoctrination

-- A lot of hours every week to do things that we love and that make us happy, instead of boring meetings and pointless church jobs

-- My daughters having degrees, awesome careers and solid incomes, free to do whatever they want with no guilt

-- My sons having jobs, degrees, careers, and normal life experiences instead of spending two crucial years selling the cult and brainwashing themselves

-- My kids being able to choose partners that are right for them, and being able to have memorable, wonderful weddings that everyone can attend (if they decide to wed)

-- No pressure for them to start popping out babies just because

-- Real friends instead of fake, church frenemies

-- Knowing that our lives are ours to live however we want and that we have authority over ourselves, rather than being answerable to geezers in suits.

If all of that is "detrimental and devastating," I'll take it.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:22PM

After spending time with them they give me a call to say "Thanks again for NOT raising us to be mormons."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 03:55PM

They can never accept there are any good reasons for leaving, because that would mean there are bad reasons for staying.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:13PM

Good point!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:31PM

I guess my TBM friends don't understand that, despite being 95% inactive, I still have ample opportunities from other sources to be a dishonest, sneaky, stalking, wasteful, bored, bigoted, delusional, sexist, spineless, irrational, homophobic, unscientific, condescending, puritanical hypocrite. I don't need the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to provide me those opportunities.

(Although I admit it's nice to get everything in one place--one-stop shopping, so to speak...)

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 05:00PM

The church packaged itself as "the truth" and simultaneously withheld any information to the contrary. Then one day the honesty of the leaders came into question and I allowed myself to examine the history. The carefully packaged truth claims fell apart in the light of the facts and it turned out to be a horrendous and pernicious lie.

Today- wouldn't change a thing. Lessons hard learned are well appreciated. Still a seeker of truth but much more cautious and skeptical what I take in as truth.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 05:11PM

getbusylivin------some of the choicest adjectives put together to describe the cult I've come across. Excellent, and I hope you won't mind if I use them, crediting you, of course. Plus, your post context is not too shabby either!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 06:33PM

My pleasure... thanks for the kind words, presley!

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 11:01AM

Now that I'm done with them. Now I'm divorced because I'm done with them. Now is now. No fear of the past. No fear of tomorrow. Peace and serrenity today. Life at the end of my toes. It's great to be alive. Blue skies. Chickens laughing at me. Creek in the back yard. Lovely sounds. Weeds to pull. Damn, life is good!!!

I hope you, my friends that I haven't met, are having a wonderful day!!

-geezus

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 02:46PM

I can only WISH I could have seen the impact that leaving the church would have on my children and grandchildren. I would have left MUCH sooner.

My children have done well but still, over half their lives were spent in TSCC. I often see things that I don't think would be there without the mormon influence in their lives. I have a daughter who cannot be happy or fulfilled without a man. She has a great career and owns her home, but she goes from guy to guy to guy. Some of them she marries and some she just moves in. They get more worthless as time goes on. But there is rarely more than a few weeks between them. I hate that she was raised to believe she was incomplete without a man.

But my grandchildren are thriving so much more than I or their parents were at their ages. And I look at some of my exmo friends whose children are at the HS graduation/college stage. Talk about kids who are thriving and soaring!

If someone told me that now--that the outcome on kids would be detrimental and devastating, I'd ask them to show me one. And I'd show them 10 times as many mormon kids with problems and exmo kids who are thriving for every one exmo kid they can think of who is devastated.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.