Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 09:31PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 10:11PM

Yes. Irrationality and drama. Oooohhh the drrraaaaammmmaaa.

My family consists of two zealot parents in law and 6 TBM BILs, all married to Mollies. I've lost count of the kids. There's always some crisis that needs everyone's fervent prayer and fasting going around Facebook. It's always something oh so serious to TBMs that no one else gives a fiddle about. "Oh heavens, my husband has a job conference in <gasp> Las Vegas! He has asked that the company either let him stay home or move the venue, but they won't listen, just like when he asked them to stop serving coffee at the shareholder breakfast! Everyone, quick pray that they see the light before husband has to choose between righteousness and covenants or job and bass boat!!!"

Each week is a new version of the above. I want to box them up and send them to North Korea sometimes, teach them what misery really means. But I also pity them. They're as nuts as they were when I met them 20 years ago. No change, no maturity, not even a sense of humor.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 01:19AM

I so agree.

The cult, its demands and rules, places its members in a box of insanity, demanding they keep the lid tightly closed so that the tainted 'worldly' air does not seep in. Only read the books we tell you to read, here is a list of the safe and church-approved internet sites, eat and drink as we outline, do not defile your body by doing such and such, wear your temple garments night and day, this is what is allowed on Sunday, honor your callings, Monday nights are for family home evenings, are you holding individual counsels with your family?, and on and on, ad nauseum.

Many members follow this regime even when they have received an education with information that creates questions, doubts, and cognitive dissonance about their path. Others, even if they have not been able to be educated, feel like something is off. All become over stressed, overworked, and drained, but still they keep attempting to follow the path because it is drilled into them that they are not doing enough of it the right way. They are at fault and MUST TRY HARDER! And, of course, they must pray more and HAVE MORE FAITH and soon down that road, around the next bend, they will feel better.

And, if you as a cult member keep doing this, eventually the box of insanity, which for a while might have seemed too tight, the air too stagnant, feels like home sweet home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 01:20AM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.