Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 08:49PM

Ok so everyone in Utah knows someone who knows a GA. And eventually everyone knows everyone and word gets around. We are just busy-body little bees in the beehive, aren't we?

Anyway there's a tradition up in Cache valley that the retired folks get together and walk around in circles at the mall for exercise. Anyway on one of those occasions G. Stevenson's father, came to visit his old friends and went walking with the group (my grandma was in the group). And it was right after Gary Stevenson became a 70.

We all know how interested everyone is about how much the GA's make and somehow the conversation got on that subject. Stevenson Sr. said that Stevenson Jr. said that the first thing he learned becoming a GA was that there is no money, no salary, no benefits. None of the GA's make anything. They freely consecrate all their time to the cause. Everyone who says otherwise is confused.

True story, What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 08:52PM

What about the tread about some guy in Australia getting like a million bucks for becoming a GA?? I dont remember the details.

Posted by: jdoubledub ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 08:57PM

Not true. I know several people that work for CES and they all receive very good salaries considering what they do. They all say GAs get a lot of money and great benefits. Another example of lying for the lord. If they didn't get any money, they'd have absolutely no problem releasing the financials would they??

Posted by: byuatheist nli ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 08:59PM

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 09:24AM

Pretty much sums up the essence of TSCC.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 09:06PM

At the very least, they would get the same deal as the MPs, the handy-dandy, use it everywhere for everything, church credit card. He can use it for ANYTHING!

Plus the health coverage, and probably some life insurance. Maybe 70s don't get to sit on corporation boards, but how about some consulting every now and then?

And then there's the Signing Bonus about which Grant Palmer has written.

So yeah, I can see where there's no pay check on the 15th and the last of the month...

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 09:27PM

Let me see the church's books and the tax returns of the peeps in question.

Until then it's all spin.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 10:48PM

Who needs a paycheck when everything is taken care of for you by the "little people" who adore you.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 09:22AM

They get a hundred different stipends that a legally not 'income'. So legally it makes them look unpaid when that is very far from the truth. it may all be unethical but it is certainly legal, you can count on that

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 10:06AM

No salary, just stipends as stated above plus I heard they got like a signing bonus to clear their books so they can devote their time to the Lord without regular folks' worldly concerns.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 03:10PM

This is what I've read, as well; a shell game of stipends, "loans", and reimbursements for incidental expenses. Regardless of what it's called, they aren't hurting for a lack of income.

Posted by: Mahonri Moronandhismom ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 10:23AM

Simple logic tells me that they get treated and taken care of better than MPs. And MP's lives don't suck...

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 10:39AM

At one time I was asked to review the tax returns of certain GAs.

They are paid very well.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 09:29PM

Interesting? The Stevenson's were the bishop's family in the ward where my mother grew up in Logan Utah. My family knows them pretty well even though I do not. Stevenson Sr. was a very good bishop from what I've been told. I find it strange that he would say there is no income being a GA.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 01:28AM

Mormons love lies. If you tell an obvious lie Mormons smile.
It's when you tell the truth that they become upset and angry.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 09:04PM

Gary Stevenson is loaded with money. He doesn't need a salary or benefits. The church gave him this calling because he has done such a good job watching over HIS money he will now be able to watch over the churches money.

Arrington nailed it when he complained of the cult calling the rich to high positions. Gary is a perfect example.

Evan Stephenson (Gary's dad) used to be the patriarch of our stake and then he quit after relatively short time. I wonder if he had a hard time playing fortune teller with the patriarchal blessings. He is probably in his nineties by now and most likely has had his calling and election made sure. Bluffing for the church would now be his highest calling.
He and his wife were likable people in the community.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.