Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 03:36PM

Judge Ted Stewart must be so pleased with his decision to let this guy out awaiting his trial.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4027446-155/polygamous-sect-leader-charged-with-food-stamp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 03:43PM

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 03:46PM

From the article, members were afraid of Jeff's because he might send them on something called "repentance missions."

WTF is that?

Posted by: JenMikell ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 04:02PM

My understanding is that a "repentance mission" is something Warren Jeffs would do. He'd single out a man, usually in sacrament meeting, and tell him he was unworthy of his family and the priesthood. Jeff would tell the man the only way for him to reclaim his family would be to leave town, and repent from afar. The man would be stripped of his wives, children, and property, and sent away. He would be required to write letters to Jeffs, detailing his sins, in hopes that Jeffs would allow him to return. (Like that ever happened.) In the mean time, the "sinner's" wives and children would be reassigned to a more "worthy" priesthood holder in the community, and would never be allowed to speak of their "sinner" husband/father again. :(

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 04:06PM

Lyle and bro Warren can dole out punishment according to their primitive tribal laws, but eye for eye, tooth for tooth would rather run from the law than let justice prevail.

Cowards that they are. Wasn't one article of their faith to be subject to the law of the land?

LOL, now when he gets caught again, he'll be doing life like his brother Warren before him. Sending all the right messages to their faithful devotees (not!)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 04:30PM

The Utah judge should be removed for being a FLDS sympathizer. EVERYONE (except Lyle & his lawyers) told the judge that he would bolt- just like Warren. Lyle helped Warren flee. I hope they find him & lock him up in another state.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 04:37PM

I don't have time to do it now, but I'd like to look up this judge's genealogy.

Does anyone have tips on where I can start, or maybe wants to do it themselves?

Date: June 20, 2016 04:50PM

Don't know anything about genealogy, but his brother is Rep. Chris Stewart & Sen. Orrin Hatch got him appointed him to the bench.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 06:47PM

It's crazy how this article could just as well have been written in 1835 about Joseph Smith.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 07:33PM

I'm not actually that upset by this.

First, holding someone while that await trial is very rare and I would want it to remain rare.

Second, while I'm sure the prosecution had plenty of evidence they didn't have an admission of guilt. Now they have an admission of guilt and additional charges.

Ever here the term, give him enough rope and he'll hang himself"?

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:22PM

If he is locked up it will be in another state since his charges are federal and Utah does have any federal prisons, but we do have at least one very big moron as a federal judge

Posted by: maizyday ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:25PM

NOBODY with a brain is surprised by this.

I can't believe the judge let him out.

He (Lyle) will be found, eventually, but it will take time and money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 10:37PM by maizyday.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:30PM

You hold someone because you have reason to believe he is a flight risk or is a danger to others.

Lyle Jeffs was certainly a flight risk--duh!

And it would surprise me a bit if he were not a danger to others!

But, he is white and rich so that makes it all okay, I guess.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:38PM

Where would he go???

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:42PM

Food Stamp fraud is an economic 'white collar' crime; to keep someone locked away on this would probably deny a violent offender from being in.

Also, federal prisoners are often held in county & state facilities.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 01:12PM

We lock up plenty of non-violent people. I think a spot could be secured for one more, and if he weren't white and able to pay for good lawyers, it would be almost guaranteed.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 01:14PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 02:59PM

The judge is the only person who didn't see this coming, which is why he was able to flee.

Date: June 21, 2016 03:25PM

Unless the judge, a lifelong mormon with pioneer roots, is a FLDS sympathizer & knew exactly what Jeffs would do upon release.

Date: June 21, 2016 09:21PM

Yeah, I found all the stuff about Isaac Mitton Stewart and onward...but they're not related to the Jeffs? Is conflict of interest a huge problem in Utah, or do they not worry about it? If they all didn't have so many kids, I'd look it up myself.

The judge actually thought it was a bad idea to release him, but inexplicably reversed himself:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/07/us/flds-bishop-lyle-jeffs-detained/

Date: June 21, 2016 09:30PM

"The judge actually thought it was a bad idea to release him, but inexplicably reversed himself:"

Check his bank account.

Date: June 21, 2016 09:54PM

That's traceable, but this sounds like Hazzard County... *cough* BYU sexual assault cases *cough*

Date: June 21, 2016 09:31PM

How would he flee to his ranch in South America if his p*ssport was surrendered?

Date: June 21, 2016 09:31PM

That word above is on the banned list for some reason.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 09:35PM

I never would have dreamed he'd do such a thing. You know, a man of god and all that. Why would an innocent man do that?

(Sarcasm off)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.