Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 02:58PM

Has anyone gone this route? Does it actually work? Is there an updated email addy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 03:09PM

Resigning via email works well and is (often) a quick, fairly painless way to get out of the church.

The details of what to do can be found at http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Do read the whole thing as it explains what to expect. Keep in mind that as soon as they read your email, you are out by any legal definition. The church has created a bunch of busy work for their bishops. You are under no obligation to meet with anyone nor justify your resignation to anyone you do not want to.

To try and deal with the whole "local matter", I looked up my local bishop (a guy I had never met) on the church's website and cc'd him on the email that I sent to HQ and let him know that there was no need to meet and I'd really like for him to process the paperwork as quickly and confidentially as possible. A few weeks later I was out.

Good luck and congradulations on your new found freedom!

Date: June 29, 2016 03:16PM

Thank you for the response and the information! I've been a closet exmo for about 3 years now, but feel it's time to make it official. I want a clean conscious that they can't technically count me among members when they do their very transparent audit reports. haha

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 03:25PM

I resigned by email right after they came out with the children of gays mess. I had not been Mormon for decades but wanted to join those making a statement.

I got a letter back in about a week stating it was a done deal. I followed a form I found on line and only changed a few bits.

I started out, "This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and it is effective immediately."

Do not ask for anything. Just inform them what you want them to do. I stated that this was not a matter to be handled by a bishop and the only thing I was to get back was a letter confirming that my membership was deleted immediately.

I also added that I understood the consequences--revoke of baptism, ordinations, temple endowments, etc. just to make it clear from the get go.

Good luck. I hope it goes as well for you.

Date: June 29, 2016 03:34PM

Great information! Thank you! Having my eyes opened (and not just the eyes of my understanding haha) has been the most liberating and refreshing feeling. I just need to finally make it official.

What was the email you used (if you don't mind my asking)? I noticed the one on here was only updated as of 2012.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 03:44PM

Just checked out the link that Finally Free gave. That is the site I got the sample letter from and used--the first sample listed. I am pretty sure I used the email given at the top although I had one of our office workers send it so I'll have to check.

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

Date: June 29, 2016 03:48PM

Ok! I'll get on it. Once again, thank you for your help! I'll let you know how it goes!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 29, 2016 03:53PM

I did the same as BlueOrchid and got the same results. I'm out!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.