Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 12:48AM

Got a tweet from the ward on Saturday morning that an investigators baptism had been canceled, the name is the same as some investigator that canceled his baptism when i was ward mish leader a year and a half ago. Wasn't there a time missionaries would drop an investigator if it was never gonna go anywhere? Must be really hard times if it's dragged on for that long

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 01:34AM

Same person or different people with the same name?

Odd as my name is, there are four more men with the same name within 300 miles of me. And I don't know any of them.

Why do I care about this?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 04:02AM

The mishies are stringing this poor investigator along and it's a pathetic waste of time for everyone.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 04:16AM

I believe missionaries schedule baptism whether the person wants it or not.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 07:52AM

Absolutely they do.

It's part of the high pressure sales tactics employed by missionaries. Psychologically speaking, people who you have pressured into a commitment like that are more likely to go through with it, just to get you out of their lives.

Obviously not all go through with that, but when you are desperate for even a single baptism, it improves your odds as a missionary.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 01:26PM

Indeed.
On my mission, I scheduled around 40 baptisms.
Four actually went through :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 07:24PM

40 baptisms scheduled and 4 went through and you served in France, right. That's pretty impressive Hie. I didn't know the French ever converted. How close were you to the mission president, if I may ask? I'm not too familiar with the missionary structure so you might need to explain.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 10:38AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 40 baptisms scheduled and 4 went through and you
> served in France, right. That's pretty impressive
> Hie. I didn't know the French ever converted. How
> close were you to the mission president, if I may
> ask? I'm not too familiar with the missionary
> structure so you might need to explain.

In all modesty -- yeah, it was impressive. I was considered something of a rock star for having 4 baptisms, most France missionaries had 0-1.

We snared a young newly-married couple in Caen, they took the dunk just 4 weeks after first contact.
I baptized a young immigrant kid in Paris (Boulogne-Billancourt) that had been taking lessons for a while (before I even got to France), I just cleaned up what others had started. And finally a young Chinese immigrant girl, who was very sweet and cute, and felt very lonely in France...initially she liked us mishies 'cause we spoke English (she was from Hong Kong and didn't speak French very well). I'm certain she got dunked expecting one or more of us to offer to whisk her away to the promised land of Utah!

As far as close to the mission president (R. Dean Robinson) -- I wasn't, really. I got bumped up *really fast* to senior companion then DL, having a French surname and having taken 4 years of French in high school, language wasn't an issue, and for the first half of my mission I was as righteous as they come.

The MP apparently did have plans to make me ZL then AP, but when reports got back to him that I'd gotten less enthusiastic about the work during the second half of my mission (all the baptisms happened in the first year), that all went out the window. I got a couple of talking-tos about my lack of enthusiasm, and got encouraged to repeat the "amazing success" of the first half of the mission, but to no avail...by then I was already well down the road to non-belief, and was just marking time until I went home. And the MP knew it (probably because I told him as much!). :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 10:38AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 07:40PM

How often is this happening nowadays!???

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.