Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 02:30AM

Anyone ever look thru ensigns anymore? My mom always gets me the subscription for a Xmas gift, she's never mo but just gets it for a cheap gift idea. Anyhow, i was just skimming thru julys and found an article about a woman having to explain to her kids that there aunt was living with a guy and how they weren't married and it was such a serious sin etc. The aunt becomes pregnant and a month later they decide to get married, I like what she said here " why hadn't they waited to announce the pregnancy until after they were married?" Yeah just announce it after like most good young mormon couples do:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 03:45AM

sometimes I glance through it. But haven't read any articles in some time. It mostly has turned into a sappy story about some women losing her baby or infertility problems.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 05:46AM

Announcing a pregnancy before the wedding? Clearly, the person has learned the holy trinity of mormonism -- Guilt, Shame and Fear. The other trinity of mormonism is Pay, Pray & Obey.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 08:50AM

I read stories like that and then think about some of the couples I have known who became pregnant before marrying, and how happy they are decades later.

One family member married with their newborn infant being held in someone's arms off to the side. It was a beautiful life-affirming wedding and they are a beautiful happy couple these 35 years later!

Another couple I knew were pregnant when married, eventually had three children, were very happy and committed to each other, also about 35 years, until one of them just passed away recently.

These couples were mature young adults in both cases, and were COMMITTED to each other BEFORE they got the piece of paper. They did not need anyone else to tell them when it was OKAY to be together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 08:52AM by seekyr.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:13AM

Perhaps you could suggest to your mom a magazine that you might like better. There are a number of magazines where the price to subscribe is nominal.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 11:26AM

I like to keep one lying around to swat flies.

One of the cats is a pretty good fly catcher/eater, but she's put on some weight and isn't as spry as she used to be. So it's good to have the Ensign around as back-up.

After a couple of fly executions when the cover starts to get crusty a new Ensign arrives and I can toss the old one, so that's another plus.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 05:06PM

You might suggest to her a subscription to a Playboy like mag.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 12:36AM

I actually bought the binders so I could keep all the past editions of my Ensign magazines. UGH! They are sitting in a storage unit. I dream of the bonfire they will make the day I get them out of storage along with my old, out-of-style clothes.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 01:23AM

Funny thing - I was just flipping through the recent one today. I'm nevermo but the Ensign(several copies) is delivered to the Assisted Living facility where I currently reside. I did read one short article in it today but don't recall now what it was about.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 08:57AM

"Why hadn't they waited to announce the pregnancy until after they were married?"

Yeah. The aunt's life revolves around this author and her kids.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 02:15PM

After my dad passed away 16 years ago his Ensign subscription came to me until it ran out. I looked though one issue and then tossed the rest in the trash when I picked up my mail at the post office. I couldn't believe the drivel in that rag and that TBM's ate it up every month.

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.