Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zoe ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 09:13PM

I just watched "Tabloid" on netflix. The documentary of a girl who "kidnapped" a missionary on England and she forced him to have sex with her, seven times.
Does anyone knows HIS side of this story?? I mean in the movie you can see her side (Joyce Mckinney) and this journalist's side.
p.s. if you haven't watch this documentary, you HAvE to! It is funny yet touching (once you are outside the church)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 09:38PM

I remember this case when it happened, and having looked it up just now, hard to believe it was back in 1977.

I had heard of the movie made by Errol Morris, but for some reason, as much as I like some of his work, I just couldn't bring myself to see it when it was released. Maybe now that it's on Netflix, I'll give it a shot.

The missionary she kidnapped was distantly related to a guy in my ward back then but after his wife let everyone know, he wouldn't say a word about it. I think it was more out of embarrassment than anything else.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 09:47PM

I remember this case all too well.
Believe me it was not a good time to be a young single female Mormon in the UK.......

Posted by: MickJarl ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:24PM

But for a Mormon male, it had just the opposite effect. At the time, I was a law student at Oxford University. The day the story broke, a fellow student, knowing I was Mormon, asked if I had heard about the story. I hadn't. He filled me in on what he had learned from the newspapers and then added: "Dude, you need to get a sign on your dorm room door immediately which reads, 'The Mormon Lives Here'!"

Posted by: durhamlass ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 09:09AM

yorkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember this case all too well.
> Believe me it was not a good time to be a young
> single female Mormon in the UK.......

Agreed, I was literally cringing with embarrassment at the time. This was also one of the things which led to me leaving the church, in spite of being BIC, I just couldn't cope with being different from everyone else.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:44PM

We were warned to be vigilant because this must be a new form of persecution of missionaries. I remember my companion saying … where do we sign up?

We were also warned that a movie titled Oh God with George Burns as GOd was coming out and that the lord would smite the earth with a curse - sure enough Disco hit really hard right afterwards.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:45PM

I'm volunteering; does anyone have contact information for the kidnapper?

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 12:52AM

I did some googling and found what looks like the most recent news about her.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/true-crime-scene/mormon-sex-in-chains-case-beauty-queen-joyce-mckinney-insists-manacled-missionary-consented/news-story/49cd783c504c75e862c6bd0ebb3b1c46

It doesn't say anything more about her current status.

Posted by: Live Leaker LL ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 11:25PM

When he retuned to the states he stayed with a seminary teacher, last name Parsons. He lived between Idaho and Utah. If Elder Parsons is still alive he could give you the inside scoop.

Posted by: zoe ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 02:47AM

Wow.! So, they didn't really investigated the guy?? Maybe it really did happen and he just felt so much guilt he wanted to take it back and it blew up in his face and didn't know what to do or how to react. That's my theory...
But nowadays, there is so much information out there, why don't people wonder if that was true?
I felt pity for the poor lady. Have you ever been so inlove that you do something incredible crazy? I have! My first love and I had a long distance relationship, it was 12 hrs on a freaking bus!
How can the church have so much power on you that you ruined a girl's life completely??!!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 08:59AM

I'm a little uncomfortable with some of the comments about Ms. McKinney. If you are in love you don't hold someone captive with
restraints.

This woman is a rapist, just as a male would be if he did that to a female. It was against his will. Equality is equality. The young man probably feared for his life. She "insists that he consented" is nothing more than a rapist's rationalization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2016 09:11AM by Doxi.

Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 10:02AM

I was on my mission in the UK when this happened. Knocking on doors became a new challenge. We got a lot of funny comments.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 11:51AM

They "dated" before he went to England. Joyce brought two guys with her and they grabbed him while he was down the street from his companion street contacting. Joyce and her boys were getting on a plane back to the states when she called the police and told them where he was. She was long gone before the police knew where she was.

Yes, she raped him but the GA's were worse. Every GA that arrived in England wanted to have a personal interview with the boy. They raped him over and over and over and I assume masturbated often thinking about it.

Posted by: Alf o Mega ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 01:31PM

I knew Kirk Anderson( the kidnapped mashie) before and after his mission. we were Not close..he came to our business with his father working in the summers.

His dad name was Gail.. he was a custodian at a local school.
His dad had a horrible skin condition with wart like bumps all over his face.
I can not see what Ms. McKinney saw in his son.. maybe he was endowed before he was endowed??

anyway the whole story was stranger than fiction.

pics of the couple

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/external?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent6.video.news.com.au%2FNqMXYxdDoP-OEsSokAsUsSd2z55xhl2M%2Fpromo252665162&width=650&api_key=kq7wnrk4eun47vz9c5xuj3mc

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/16/02/3035551400000578-0-image-a-37_1452912678019.jpg

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.