Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fbtj ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 06:28PM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153900837038386&id=727323385

While I've never been a fan of his music, I have to give him major thumbs up here. You may remember him from his solo single he released a few months ago called "Trash" where he spit on a painting of Joseph Smith and ripped up the Book of Mormon while he sang his decry of the religion he used to hold. Well the other day he posted this live video on Facebook reacting to the recent Gay suicides and reading a letter to Russel M Nelson and the church as a whole pleading for a policy and rhetoric change and for them to address this issue. He gets emotional when he talks about how he once was a missionary and converted people to this plan he now sees as sickening, that really got me. Short video but a great one if you haven't seen it. It's great to have someone in the mainstream standing up to the church.

~TJ

Thanks for the comments guys. This whole thing really hits close because I knew Wyatt personally and one of the other three personally, and I have friends who knew Stockton personally as well. I was also the one who posted that story of my friend who attempted to take her life but was unsuccessful. This is a huge issue for me because so many people I know are either dying around me or trying, something has to change and I really appreciate people like Tyler who have a real voice using it to stand up and help those of us on the ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 04:01PM by fbtj.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 06:35PM

I posted this yesterday. There was no reaction from THIS CROWD.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1841303

I'm sorry but most of these self indulgent people are still worried about MMM and O/T subjects.

Most of these people don't care. It's not part of their generation or they're just as self absorbed as Mormons.

Yes, it's been all over Twitter, Instagram, FB, Zelph on the Shelf, Exmormon radio, Podcasts, the other Exmormon boards; but here? Well you're "Scream" is at an ocean of pettiness.

Posted by: noosey ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 06:39PM

Maybe it would have garnered more response on its own thread. Not many posted to winey's question.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 07:17PM

I think this is a topic that's discussed on RfM at least as much as any other. You posted a comment on another thread at 6 PM on the day following a holiday, and you're upset that nobody commented? I get on here quite a bit and read most threads, but I never even saw that post. "THIS CROWD"?..."just as self absorbed as Mormons"? Come on! Who's the one getting angry about not successfully hijacking someone else's thread?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 07:42PM

Dydimis may have a point to some extent?

A lot of important "current" ideas (besides the endless parade of gblt) don't get brought up or discussed. My theory is that a lot of the ex mormons/jack mormons here aren't living in Morridor and aren't under the influence as much, they've moved on and are not as aware of the current issues. They've moved on and are from a different time (the MCKonkie days).

But ya this FB person has a point, I brought this question up too a few months ago. Maybe the church is right? maybe they are wrong IDK. We (or at least I am) are confused about these practices and are waiting for the bretheren to start 'splaining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 07:55PM by poopstone.

Date: July 06, 2016 08:00PM

I love this site and forum...yet I'm not going to apologize for something I see as not right. I didn't try to "hijack" anyone's post. The question was asked, I posted a response to that subject and question.

My point is/was that we need to be here for real exmormon problems. Not just LGBT issues. These are things I've seen on my own personal family and FB site within the last 10 days.

1)You're a laid-off worker in Delta, UT and have to go to the church for financial help and your Bishop won't help.

2) Teen daughter is being asked if she masturbates.

3) Post-partum depression? Too many kids?

4) Missionary just got called to Brazil, right after he heard the talk about "The BoM isn't to be taken scientifically or historically". Don't believe he has a testimony.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2016 08:01PM by dydimus.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 10:53PM

With the board being closed for a few days, and with family and holiday things going on, I've hardly been on the board This past week until today. Not that you were waiting for ME, but I'm just sayin' that others might have stuff going on right now too. Probably shouldn't make too many assumptions as to why.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:51AM

Harsh judgement. I saw the video on another forum and cried. I commented on that forum. I definitely care a great deal about what is happening today.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 06:47PM

I shared it online. There were several comments.

Date: July 06, 2016 07:03PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I shared it online. There were several comments.

I searched for it on the board. Today or Yesterday???

Yes, I got plenty of shares, comments and likes from where I posted yesterday (FB, Twitter, others)... but here; sorry, nope.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 07:26PM

Tyler Glen?

Man, I can't even stir it up with my Thomas McConkie post - and that dude's been thinking about life since he left the church at 13 - and studied Buddhism for 20 years. A freakin' McConkie! I mean, he's put some thought into things. Yes, Tyler has a groovy video. What's the world coming to? Does pop art once again triumph over real art?

I can't get on board with you're Tyler Glen rant until Thomas McConkie gets fully aired.

Posted by: Just Another Ex-Mo! ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 07:42PM

You seem obsessed with Thomas. You're either an ex, a psychopath, or Thomas yourself. Here's a hint....don't talk about yourself in the third person. It's a dead giveaway.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 01:46AM

Yes, I think Thomas has some chops.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 07:29PM

I saw it and I loved it.

Go Tyler!!! Call the b@stards out!

-Dennis

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 06, 2016 07:44PM

Tyler is making the powers that be in the upper echelons of mormonism, cringe.

They really need him to shut the hell up. Not going to happen anytime soon.

Tyler has courage and the gift of communication be it through speech or music.

Keep up the good work Tyler. I'm proud of you.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:11AM

I love Tyler Glenn, I love his music though too.

I hurt for all the people who are being abused by the church. There are times that it makes me physically ill.

I am trying to make it part of my culture to fight for human rights. Part of that is to stand up against the church.

Oh and hell no I left the church and won't leave it alone. Just like I won't leave any hate group alone.

Oh and quit calling it SSA, I hear that one more time and will scream. Quit trying to make it into something bad, it is not. It is absolutely something right. It becomes something bad and something perverse when you try and force people to go against who they are.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:20AM

"I'm sorry but most of these self indulgent people are still worried about MMM and O/T subjects. Most of these people don't care. It's not part of their generation or they're just as self absorbed as Mormons."

I don't get that feeling from this forum. Most people here come across as genuine, intelligent, thoughtful, and interested in all things ex-Mormon. Probably the weekend, board resting, people out, etc.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:28AM

Tyler's "Trash" video was like a lightening bolt. Talk about coming out swinging. What a brilliant punch when previously he had been so pro Mormon even as an out gay.

I have been sick about the gay kids, the suicides, and the Mormon church twisting the knives they already have in these kid's backs.

The begging in this video bothered me. The Gerontocracy are as cold as ice. I hope this meant something. I hope it helps.

I have watched for six decades now since the Mormon church was in lock step with the rest of the country regarding gay people, to where the way things are now. The rest of the country went in a direction of understanding, kindness,and inclusion while the Mormon church amped up the ignorance, the singling out, and the ostracization all at the expense of their own sweet children in an effort to feed the hungry beast that is the gerontocracy.

So what are effective tools against the Mormon church's bullying? They have indoctrinated followers who will choose the church's bigotry over their own children.

We love to rail on the Mormon church itself. But today, I have a special fuck you for every parent who chooses the church over their child. If you don't have enough love to break the chains of the indoctrination, then fuck you.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 10:43AM

+ a million

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 11:13AM

The sadness is that so many people with big hearts want so badly to do something, but the Mormon Gerontocracy and their devout followers have a complete control over the situation.

They are so cold and hard and unanimous in their very calculated and arrogant bigotry that their isn't a Pollyanna on earth that is going to crack the ice.

What will happen is a kinder gentler society will eventually make the Mormon church's despicable behavior so unacceptable that there will be a sudden revelation from on high (top of the COB) and gays will be okay, and the Gerontocracy will look for their next victim. And they do need a victim like an addict needs their crack fix.

So until that time, kids will live in fear and sorrow, and kids will die unless their Mormon parents finally choose their own over a mean cult.

"Bless the Beasts and the Children of the Mormons. For in this world they have no choice. They have no voice."

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 08, 2016 12:08PM

I wish this wasn't the case, but you are right. By the time someone makes it to the top rungs of the gerontocracy, they have no heart. It has been iced over through years of scratching and clawing for power. And what good is power if you have no victim?

Posted by: fbtj ( )
Date: July 07, 2016 03:58PM

Update in the OG post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 03:58PM by fbtj.

Posted by: Truenomore ( )
Date: July 09, 2016 05:18PM

The LDS church's policy towards LGBT persons is the main reason we left the church. Our oldest daughter is gay. We could in no way chose to continue in a faith that can't accept and treat all individuals in the same fashion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.