Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 01:18AM

First off, no money changes hands unless you want to.

Second, there's an interview to get in. You have to be broken. If you're a drunk, or you smoke crack, or you're on probation for kiting checks or breaking and entering, or you make your living turning tricks, you're more than welcome. But if you show up for your interview and blab on about how perfect you and your job and your family is, you get to come back in three months and try again. Hopefully by then you'll realize you're broken.

Third, we take an expansive view toward spiritual music. Think "My Favorite Things" or "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane. Or "I Can See Clearly Now" by Jimmy Cliff. Or Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Lots of options here.

Instead of a podium up front there's a big table where we take turns making sandwiches that we later hand out to people living in local parks.

Sometimes we have services on Sunday morning, but other times we meet on Tuesday afternoon or Saturday morning or Thursday after lunch. There's no set schedule.

We have a regular meeting place where we huddle when the weather's crappy but having a worship service under the stars in the desert has obvious advantages so we try to pull that off as often as possible.

Unlike in the Mormon church where folks take turns giving the prayers before and after, we take turns giving our definition of what exactly it is we are worshiping. Is it a deity? An idea? A philosophy? A turtle named Dave? This week it's your call, not mine, so you tell me.

Oh, and we pass the hat to pay a couple of poor people to clean the bathroom. And when they've finished they come over to a member's house to fill their bellies.

So... What else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 01:27AM

You should have to share books and must report on who you made laugh and/or smile. But the latter reports are written and submitted anonymously.

This is tentative... What if the group constructed an electricity generating turbine in which a big flywheel was hand-cranked into motion and someone had to stop by and crank it every so often, and that chore was divided amongst all the members. So everyone has to take a turn at keeping the electricity flowing...

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 01:33AM

I love the shared electricity generation! A little shared sweat goes a long way.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 10, 2016 01:39AM

"We were the Shared Electricity Generation!!!"

Posted by: LauraR ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 03:29PM

Sounds like my local UU Fellowship. :)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 05:02PM

Sounds like my very own support group!

S.N.E.R.T.s = Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing

No dues, just sharing, caring and all that $Ħ!†! Only rule is to be nice.

Everyone welcome except bullies, sanctimonious people, and mean people are not invited.

Doxi <--- Founder and Whiner-In-Chief.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 05:40PM

and always up for whining and dining

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 08:43PM

Welcome aboard, SnertBagley!

What title would you like? Head SNERT Scribe? Potentate of the Pen?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 15, 2016 12:00AM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 14, 2016 09:00PM

Like the idea of SNERTING and the price is definitely up my alley.

Vote for the gatherings not beginning too early as I enjoy sleeping in, and also vote for loud laughter and song.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.