Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 09:29AM

https://pjmedia.com/faith/2016/05/31/my-childhood-in-the-cult-of-jehovahs-witnesses/

"Somehow, some way, I developed the capacity for critical thought. I tested the doctrines of the faith and judged the organization by their own standards. I realized, once I grew old enough, that the Witnesses were a hive of hypocrites. They maintained this claim to sanctification, portrayed their lifestyle as somehow healthier, regarded themselves as somehow holier. In truth, they were every bit as corrupt and criminal as any random group of human beings."

Sounds familiar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AnoninFlorida ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 09:37AM

That faith has done more harm to my brother than did the Vietnam war.

Posted by: anon-y-mouse ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 10:12AM

I take it he joined that cult after the war since they don't like wars & fighting?

Unlike us mormons, we love a bit of gratuitous violence!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 11:06AM

I have frequently recommended to folks newly out of Mormonism or seriously questioning to go to ex-JW sites. The only thing different is some of the terminology. Governing Body - General Authorities as an example. Do not question. Shunning. I think it helps a newbie grasp that we had been in a cult. If one only looks at Mormonism, the pain of leaving could be viewed as a sign that it it true. If one reads ex-JW, ex-Scientology, ex-SDA etc. experiences, the picture becomes quite clear of Mormonism being a controlling organization. It is not unique.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 11:12AM

Comparing Mormonism to the JWs is also a good way to get nevermos to understand the Mormon church. They may not know much about Mormonism but they do know that the JWs are whack.

Posted by: AIT ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 11:19AM

It absolutely is! I highly recommend the YouTube video series by askreality who does just this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrZkzLANdJU

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 09:22PM

Eric K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If one reads ex-JW,
> ex-Scientology, ex-SDA etc. experiences, the
> picture becomes quite clear of Mormonism being a
> controlling organization. It is not unique.

Is it not strangely coincidental that all four cults mentioned by Eric (plus the Christian Science cult) were set on foot by Freemasonic plotters.

Eight of the Morg's original 12 were firmly on the Worshipful (sic) Square.

The tactic of creating church-fronts to promote the destruction of traditional religion seems apparent in this.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 06, 2016 01:19PM

I had noted this one when I read the article, but I failed to copy it earlier:

"Above all, I grew hungry for more than the Witnesses could offer. They provided no satisfactory answers to life's questions. They cited scripture, but their interpretations were hollow. They offered doctrine, but their claim to authority was weak. They spoke in riddles. Their magazine articles and other literature read more like song than prose. Their messages, delivered to congregations by appointed overseers, were performed with a hypnotic cadence that masked their lack of substance."

"Everything flowed from the organization, this shadowy group of men presented as the sole dispensers of truth. But the Governing Body's claim to authority was entirely self-appointed. They claimed that their authority was derived from scripture, but not in a way which could be recognized if read without their direction."

Posted by: anon11 ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 11:52AM

Here's another quote from the article that, I think, exmos can relate to:

"[M]y experience fighting through indoctrination and breaking away to become my own person provided me with valuable insights into the human condition. I rejected my entire worldview, defied my most revered authorities, and adopted my own philosophy piece by piece almost from scratch. Few people get to do that. Few are confronted with the need. As a result, I have a well-developed sense of skepticism which continues to serve me well. I know what I believe. More importantly, I know why I believe it."

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 12:07PM

JW's who ask too many questions end up being called to a Judicial Hearing, which usually ends up in disfellowshipping (excommunication). All JW's are then expected to Shun them (including family) or face disobedience procedures themselves.

Here is one caught on Video, and the soon to be exJW, exposing some of the watchtower Skeletons to the Elders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34xtDSX_kRc

Posted by: cat ( )
Date: July 16, 2016 02:18AM

You are sbsolutely right. They tell all kinds of lies, pretend that they are good people and cheat others. They dress up nicely and they are so ugly inside their hearts. Just hope JW will diminish from this earth as soon as possible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.